The Devon Meet 2019

Great success!

We shall stay here:

https://combasfarm.co.uk

£12.50 per night per person

We are up in the ‘high field’ and chances are I’ll have gotten there early and established camp and so will just post instructions on here for where to go. (The booking is under my name, if there is any confusion just tell them you’re part of my group and you’ll be directed accordingly.)

They don’t mind us turning up late provided everybody is nice and quiet. So best behaviour, all. Yes, I realise the irony of this coming from me.

Either pay cash, or bank transfer. (I can probably spot people and do a mass transfer for numpties who forget cash, as it’s the start of the month and DMM Dragonfly 1 and 4 are sold out everywhere so I still have liquid reserves.)

You will notice that we are right next to Baggy Point. Possibly even within walking distance.

The campsite staff are REALLY friendly, and it looks like a great spot, so let’s be nice and hope this could be the start of a beautiful relationship…

@Mark_W @Aidan @Miguel_Aguirre - if you guys are definitely heading up early, can I suggest calling them early next week and saying so, that way they will install you on our pitch from Thursday night? Whether Jess and I go early or come back late will be determined by forecasts, so probably best for you guys to sort early arrival out directly for yourselves. Contact on the webpage above.

oh yes and there is a pub 7 minutes walk away.

RESULT

Well done Paul. Baggy is a 15 minute walk from the National Trust car park above Croyde which can get quite busy especially if the surfing forecast is good. In extremis it’s probably a 45 minute walk from the campsite to the climbing on foot.

1 Like

At Baggy Kinky Cowboy, for those who haven’t done it, tops my recommendation list…

1 Like

Meant to say:

@Mattia, @ajmorris228 - if you guys are turning up independently, may be best to make your own bookings. I’m sure you can say you want to camp with us, but if you’re not arriving with the main contingent late on Friday it may be easier to be on a separate arrangement.

@dabarlow @vittoria_camisassi and Rob - you guys seem to have a transport issue. Do you have any idea of how you might solve this? David, what has happened to the BarlowMobile?

Yes, that’s fine. I don’t know I’ll be able to confirm plans until mid week.

If noone else is there til late Friday then depending who I am climbing with I may opt for the car park option anyway if it’s only a night.

@PaulSagar Rachel has my car that weekend, so I’d like a lift from someone.

Great news!
Thanks for organizing that stuff. looking forward to next weekend

Hmm @dabarlow then we have a problem because lift space is low.

Can a car be acquired for the weekend by you, Vitoria and Rob somehow? That would solve the issue.

Oh Rob, why did you sell your van…

We rented a car Dave and the Italian won’t drive so you are safe :wink:

Thanks Paul for sorting the campsite.

1 Like

Hurrah!

Hey Paul,
Thanks so much for organising and once I know what’s what with work I’ll make an independent booking. Cheers for the heads up.

1 Like

Hi Paul, I called the campsite and spoke to Sally. Sorted out the spot for Thurs night. We are in the high field, she said you wouldn’t be able to find it without being taken round there so we need to go to the farm. She was OK-ish with it being after 10:30.

Did she confirm that she would be around for the late Friday arrivals as well as it looks like 4-5 more cars?

The person I spoke to on the phone said that once one of our group knew how to find our spot it would be ok for us to sort ourselves out. Basically I’ll act as Directions Facilitator on the Friday. It’ll be fine.

1 Like

Is the hire car locked in? I have a car I could drive down.

1 Like

Thanks Jo!

we can still cancel the booking. If you have space for 3 that would be awesome!

Awesome! It’ll be her maiden club voyage :tada:

Christoph, Doris; it might be worth exchanging mobile numbers for Friday; I am on 07398718422.

Just a quick heads-up to remind everybody that most venues on the Devon Culm Coast are tidal, and some will need abseil approaches. The tides are quite friendly - early afternoon - and climbing is usually possible 3 hours either side at most venues, but CHECK, and if you are unfamiliar with dealing with tides ask others for advice.