Scotland February 2020 - Cairngorm / Creag Meagaidh

Hi Lottie,

Just invited you to the thread which includes bank details.

If you have a choice and won’t be staying over Saturday to Sunday night, could you please prefer the second week. If you can make a commitment that you will take (e.g.) 5 nights before tonight I’d be able to give you the full 25% discount.

all the best
Michael

Mike - sorry for flakiness few things going on on home front & work still messing me around re dates and can’t commit just at moment. Will get back in touch when changes. Assume i’m out for now. Sorry - thanks for organisation appreciate you have to tie it off. Speak soon Gareth

Just want to bump this and say:

We are quite close to being able to pay the full cost of the Scotland trip but we aren’t quite there. It will make a big difference if just a couple more people sign up soon. The more the merrier (except around the second weekend where we are running a bit low on space). We have a good set of weeks and those that sign up earlier will get:

• priority for changing dates within the trip time
  • access to the second weekend (which is almost full)
  • a cheaper sign up

Fill in your info and room reservation here and get in touch for with me via chat for payment info.

BTW, important note: we have the night of Friday 31st January now available at no extra cost - Please put in for that if you can make it.

Deadline for current cheap slots is the end of the year.

Hi Everyone;

Just a status update - we are over the minimum to get the reservation so the Scotland trip is going ahead and I’m paying the place. Reduced price places are now closed, but if you tried to pay but haven’t had confirmation from me then please make sure you get in touch soon to find out what’s happened.

Most of the transport discussion has been on the private thread about the trip (with the payment info). Please could everyone:

a) discuss transport here so more people, including those that will commit later, can see
b) add yourselves to the transport tab in the sign up sheet
c) remember we now have 31 January available - sign up if interested

As far as people in camper vans go, @BR0D0M,@dizz_lizzie? (who else?). I’m not totally sure what’s fair? !/3 of normal cost for use of showers and cooking facilites? Please put yourselves in at the bottom and I guess avoid having more than three at a time? Please also avoid overloading bathrooms on the night of 8th-9th when we certainly will hit the limit for the place.

I’ll start the transport now by saying I am going up really early - probably driving out to Glasgow on the Wednesday then North to the lodge on Friday 31st and back on the 11th If anyone wants a lift then I’m sure there’ll be a space. More likely, if some people want me to take their gear for some minor petrol contribution so they can fly or go by train then that’ll definitely be possible and then it’ll be up there waiting for you. Get in touch.

Michael

Great thanks @mikedlr I’ve put my self on the spreadsheet I think it’s all correct.
I was thinking £10 per night for use of shower/drying room/kitchen?

Hey Mike, Wot’s the name & address of the Lodge we’re staying in?
I hope to be following the snow after the LMC weekend in the Lakes ending 26th.
So very likely to be in Dalwhinnie on the 31st which happens to be my birtday so a little whisky tasting might occour :slight_smile:
I’m staying on for other meets after so not much use for lifts.

Hi

@everyone - apart from gear I’m likely to take along a mountain bike (and spike tyres) - possibly on a bike rack. If anyone wants theirs taken up then please give me a shout though, unless someone else comes through Wales with me it may have to spend a night with the car at the cottage.

@BR0D0M I agree with £10 that’s fine. It’s simpler than saying a fixed proportion of the costs and probably more fair.

@kieron555 I put the full details of the lodge into the private thread alongside the payment details etc.

@khalidqasrawi is there a way to get the spreadsheet to show up on this thread more clearly?

Michael

@GarethA (moved here 'cos I guess this is for everyone)

Remind me / us - is there much stuff that can be done close by to the lodge without requiring transport or not really?

running, walking and biking definitely - Ski touring would need the snow to be reasonably low but I heard of people doing it in the area - lodge is above 300M but mountains locally up to 800M. Last year we didn’t have snow.

UKC shows some crags within 10k of the lodge including waterfalls on A’ Bhuidheanach which I doubt will have formed? Creag Dubh is 9km but it’s south facing and mostly a summer venue.

So my guess is that if you want to winter climb you’ll have to get in a car and most of us will be heading up past Aviemore.

Noted thank you

It looks like I’ll need to move my nights a bit later, due to a business trip in the first week of February.

In terms of lifts, is there anyone leaving 5/6th Feb, and planning to come back end of the next week (say 16th) I could get a lift with?

1 Like

I don’t think we will manage to get any kind of official safety briefing for the Scotland trip - the people who said they might do one have not confirmed - but it would be good if as many people as can who are coming or interested in coming would turn up tomorrow at Mile End. I will go out from the climbing to the pub early (arrive at the pub at 9?)

• the BMC participation statement is the key https://www.thebmc.co.uk/risk-and-safety
  • there actually is snow and so you will want to be reading the Creag Meagaidh and Cairngorm Avalanche forecasts
  • it’s probably worth starting to scour the latest ascents looking for inspiration of things that are actually worth doing in the conditions
  • remember that Scotland is mega-serious and bring things like goggles to deal with the wind-blown hail so you can navigate out using your compass and backup GPS

more chat tomorrow if people can make it.

Main thing to know is that falling off is not an option.

1 Like

The other thing to know is the day isn’tt over til your back at the hut…the climbing is often the easy bit

1 Like

Will be at Mile End from 5.30ish. Not sure I’ll last til 9!! But will come catch up with you.

Re Planning etc

I haven’t been around much but will definitely be at Castle / pub this coming monday if anyone going to Scotland is around for a chat about options / activities with latest conditions over a pint?

Naturally need to plan that last minute dash to Decathlon!

I don’t own full monty crampons at the mo just running ones - would anyone recommend a flavour of Grivel? Thanks

It all depends what boots you have. Probably best to take your boots to a shop and ensure the crampons fit, unless you can find a recommendation from someone with the same boots. Petzl Lynx for most boots though.

1 Like

Thanks

Pre sports direct Karrimor B3. Probably win some sort of prize for having those.

@GarethA For winter mixed stuff get Petzel Lynx or Grivel G14 or maybe BD equivalent. As @dabarlow says watch out for boot size & shape. My Lynx are great with my newer Sportiva boots but when I tried them on my old Scarpas once they fell off. I think older boots like yours are a bit fatter.

Hi everyone:

a) I’m going to have to take a trip down during my planned Scotland time for work. This means that, including my current plans

• 31st afternoon (not too late - need to meet @kieron555 for a birthday drink) I can pick people up in Glasgow
  • 3rd evening - I can take anyone who wants to back to Glasgow - which might be good for returning after a weekend trip
  • 5th evening - I can take people from Glasgow

then after the second weekend I will be going back via Glasgow (one day work in Glasgow then back home in the evening).

As ever I’m intending to be up in Scotland and doing something no matter what (though some snow is forecast, so it’s quite likely there will at least be some high up gullies to ski).

Michael

I will be in Castle & pub after for a Scotland catch up!