Scotland February 2020 - Cairngorm / Creag Meagaidh

Final comment on that:

These courses come from Glenmore Lodge which is the Scottish Mountaineering Council’s equivalent of Plas y Brenin. We do have a relationship with them as a club via the BMC, but we don’t know much more than is on their web site. Please arrange your bookings individually.

I did the Glenmore Lodge winter leading course last year and it was excellent. Expensive, but certainly worth the money IMO.

Thanks for all the info - clearly taken lots of time and research!

I’m happy leading trad, building anchors, grade 2 winter scrambling, navigating in white-out, managing cold and wet hands/generally being stuck outside in Scottish winter, but also have no proper mixed climbing experience - so hard to gauge what constitutes fully experienced!

It’d be good to get a sense of other’s ambitions and their plans for the week/s.
But I’ll also have a car that I can sleep in - so happy to bugger off to the West Highlands/Skye and keep myself entertained if it’s going to be pirate’s rules on hard mixed climbs! :wink:

Tom

We have a reservation in the same lodge as we stayed last year near Dalwhinnie (Distillery) from 01-14 Feb which is the only time we currently have enough people and at a time when the other lodge is reserved. Current estimated price based on only those who said they would pay a deposit is £27 a day and if we got the same number as already expressed interest that would come down to about £15 a day without overfilling at any point.

We need to get the deposit together quite soon and the full payment before the end of the year so I would like to start gathering money now which means some people will commit quite early in the hope of good weather. I am guessing we’ll do something like:

• 25 % off if you pay before end of first week of November December and commit without expectation of a refund
  • 15 % off if you pay before end of 2019 and commit without expectation of a refund
  • initial cost - £25 per night - what remains after fair split of costs will be refunded
  • if some night ends up really overfilled (people sleeping on sofas or the floor?) then we will have further reductions, especially for those that suffer. I’m waiting for contact from @guyarnold about a magic formula that he used and getting a bit more support on this, but I think we are ready go to ahead.

I have filled in nights for those people that definitely said “yes” - which already looks pretty healthy, if someone said “probably” then please go in and fill in your nights. This is now a commitment to pay at least the deposit and preferably to soon transfer the whole sum. Also, if you said “yes” or “probably” and committed to paying a deposit but have changed your mind, please update the info quickly.

In the absolute worst case I plan to go up with my mountain bike, get blown about for a few hours each day and then walk for whisky tasting. If Rob is right then it’s going to be much better. There will be a Scottish winter.

Thanks Mike - as I said, I can’t commit because of the dates. However, if I get a window of opportunity, I presume I could drive up, throw money in, and stay for the nights that I can do?

@PaulSagar it’s looking pretty good for that, especially if you don’t mind sharing a bed or bringing an airbed and going on a floor somewhere. We need 7 people per night to make it economic and we have up to 18 spaces.

I’ve just got feedback from @guyarnold and increased the benefits of early commitment to 25% but even so it should still be mega cheap.

Hey I might actually be free and able to climb by then (I just had a SLAP tear op :grimacing: ) I have left my van in France so would be looking at sharing accommodation at the lodge.

Did you want the payment for the first 25% discount option already two weeks ago @mikedlr ?

I will be doing either wintery summits or climbing, depending which way this rehab goes! Skiing apparantely is off the limits for another month or so…

Mike, not sure which week I’ll take just yet but happy to give cash for that week as long as it’s flexible. How and what do I pay?

Everyone: does anyone know contact info for Crag and Lada Indra? They are signed up but I don’t have their info and can’t work out a chat forum username. In Crag’s case I think I lost it with my previous phone, so apologies.

@Kris thanks for spotting that. It should have said first week of December so there’s still almost three weeks to get that. Updated above post.

@PaulSagar I have updated you to a “maybe” which just means I’ll try to track you and bug you if we get really close but we’re not expecting commitment

@saclimber yes great idea - please guess your dates and put them in the new “Night Reservations” - I’m sending my account number by private message to people who are signed up. Once you’ve done that you can just move your reservation around as long as the total beds stays below 14 and total people in beds stays below 18 (four double beds). We’ll make sure you get priority if your timings change and there’s a lack of space.

@Ladislav

1 Like

Hey Michael,

We have a thriving WhatsApp group since this year’s Scotland trip. I’ve invited Crag and sent him the spreadsheet, and Lada is already following the messages.

Having said that, you should have Ladislav’s chat handle that Paul sent. I don’t know if Crag is still on the club chat but will ask him now and let you know.

1 Like

Hi Mattia / Michael. Just looked up the meet chat and got on it. Also on the meets whatsapp group from last year. Cheers, Crag

1 Like

If I finish coppicing by then I’ll be heading up to Scotland at least once this winter for a week or so and will try and make it whilst you’re all up. I’ll be in the van, but obviously very happy to put a few quid in towards accommodation and drying room

The time has come to start paying deposits. This means that it’s also the last chance for full 25% reduced nights (after Friday, 20% discount compared to late joiners till end of month)

a) please choose exact nights you expect to want add yourself to - the Google Sheet
b) please get in touch by PM to get bank details.
c) please pay about £25 per night, where, if we get a successful trip you will get a chunk of money back*

There should be no problem at all with early bookers changing nights later. That will be a priority even if it means more room sharing than expected.

* it works best if we do shared food and big shared meals like the last two years, but I want finances for that to be somewhat separate especially since I won’t be there the whole time; any volunteers?

Hey Mike - Will look into this at lunch - waiitng on work trips for Feb to be confirmed but chasing up now.

RE food - shall we just do what we did last year? Think one person mostly paid for food a couple of days at a time for communal meals and then this was divvied out at the end. There’s an App called splitwise which will just work it out and save Dave the hassle of doing the maths haha. Eg if 5 people get in on communal food for 2 days, you add it to the app and assign each person their portion o the cost… This will work for people coming and going as long as people ensure who they are buying for in certain shops.

1 Like

I’m going to seriously look in to annual leave and see if I can come along. If I do it’ll just be for a week, and I’ll be doing the winter mountaineering course.

Will let you know ASAP :blush:

1 Like

Hi Mike, my daughter is ill - and the predicament means I cannot commit to anything any time soon. If I do it will be last minute. A shame as conditions look like they could be epic this season. And what a starter for 10 this weekend! https://twitter.com/wanstead_meteo/status/1202688408902127620

1 Like

On the other hand I am back in and will confirm dates etc. shortly

1 Like

I have a question, could we merge the car question into the new sheet in the Google Doc?

I would love to come up by train, but knowing that it’s 30min drive to go climbing, I don’t know if it’s safe to assume that we have enough cars.

If @MattGee is coming up, I will get there earlier.

@Scott sad to hear that, hope she recovers as well as possible. Remember that you can put in a reservation now and then flex the dates. Once we go over the amount for covering the minimum costs I will prioritize being able to refund medical situations. If we actually get most of the people who now said they will come but are trying to arrange things more clearly then we will be able to be absolutely flexible with withdrawals and, given the huge amount of space, probably able to fit you in pretty easily.

@Kris I’ve made a new sheet. @johnw1 was thinking about a minibus if that worked out right ; I personally will probably travel on Wednesday night, work Thursday from Glasgow and maybe Friday from Crubenmore which means I don’t expect other people to fit with me. I can take gear north for train/plane people and then have spaces (with winter / all weather tyres!!!) going to the crag.

1 Like