POSTPONED Spring working meet, 14-15 March 2020

Chart 7 is a handy summary.

With severe bottlenecks in providing tests for all those with symptoms and with no universal population sampling to assess actual community prevalence, are we today in the UK in the same spot as Jan 24 Hubei?

@Kenny_Straggler - He’s not joking. He’s also a bit of an arse.

@imelda - doesn’t seem beyond the realm of possibility.

1 Like

One thing the UK has going for it (outside London), is our universal love of the personal vehicle, high levels of social isolation and a breakdown in the social fabric of our communities.

Praise Thatcher, yet again.

4 Likes

Please remember that we are talking about Working meet here - the impact of postponing it for a couple of weeks has a nearly insignificant impact. And all the task can be completed a bit later. It’s not that we have to cancel expensive flights, bookings etc. We just agree to carry out works a bit later given the circumstances.

1 Like

All well andone good butility is the work meet still on?

Hi Richard,

At the moment it is still going ahead on a voluntary basis with individuals making up their own minds whether or not to attend.

I won’t be attending, as I don’t think it is a responsible thing to do. Others will make their own judgements and I respect that.

whatever you do at this time of impending national crisis DO NOT under ANY circumstances open the hatches to the septic tanks. If the shit in there mixes with Covid 19 then God Help Us All.

Remember John,
The first rule of Hut Warden is leaving the septic tank timebomb to the next Hut Warden

5 Likes

Maybe the septic tank will scare off the coronaviris?

2 Likes

Maybe the septic tank could be the perfect breeding ground for the coronavirus mutation that goes full Spanish flu and finishes us all off.

You may well be right Lottie. All you have to do (to thoroughly test the theory) is to open the hatch, and clamber into the tank…

Aah, after you, Will, I insist! Wouldn’t want to claim all the glory for myself!

I am in the cottage self isolating.

2 Likes

@willboxall and @LIon there are 2 septic tanks so you can immerse yourselves in your own tank.

1 Like

The boy has come back from school with a temperature today, so if I was unsure before I’m definitely ruled out now. Good luck sorting out the situation for the weekend!

1 Like

Hi everyone. Sorry for the period of silence. I lost my phone. In fact, I lost it while in a mountain hut in Spain which in itself may have a bearing on all this.

There is an ongoing discussion among the committee about whether to cancel the meet. My view so far is that if it does go ahead it should be a skeleton crew to do the basics which would be cleaning, laundry and changing the key code.

2 Likes

Good to know that Lottie and I would each have our own septic tank David- your words conjure something of a luxury holiday atmosphere amid the slurry.

On a more serious note, UKC’s ‘The Climbing Bug’ article explores Coronavirus in the indoor climbing wall environment- e.g. a microbiologist/ climber gives a view on the potential of climbing holds to transmit Covid-19.

Would be good to know people’s views on it, especially committee views on whether we should be encouraging groups/ more climbers/ potential transmission through our regular climbing nights?

Will

1 Like

Indeed Will, I’d also like to ask if the committee can request that members who have any CV symptoms, or have been in contact with anyone with CV, and are self-isolating do NOT go to the Cottage to sit it out. It’s not an isolation ward. I know this should be common sense, but a member did once take a child to the Cottage who was infectious with chickenpox, putting other members who might not have immunity at risk :open_mouth

2 Likes

I am personally leaning towards aborting the meet this weekend, but attending it’s replacement.

2 Likes

If I can make the replacement I will.
I’m taking out a fireplace this weekend. Been trying to find a dust mask, can’t find one anywhere, what’s going on?!?

Folks - been on the fence for a few hours but I think listening to irish radio a bit has swung it (lockdown there). Going to give it a miss and gladly attend replacement meet if at all possible.