Peak District Bouldering meet

Please don’t take me on high boulders with shitty landings or you’ll ear me meowing from the top. :cat:

2 Likes

Burbage north and south both look like they’ll be cold with current wind predictions. Stanage will also be freezing.

May have to play it by ear on the day depending on what people’s abilities are?

If the sun shines, it would be good to have south-facing rock in the morning, depending on what time we get there.

My top tip for Burbage North is to not be tempted to solo Twenty Foot Crack above a bouldering mat atop a snow covering!
It may be only a Severe but that’s because of all the gear. Without the gear it is more like soloing a VS (4b moves and it is not as trivial as it looks) and you wonder whether a landing on the mat will cause the mat to comically slip out from under you and drop you onto some rocks anyway.

I may or not be speaking from experience and vivid memory :grinning::smiley::smiley::grinning:

Agree! I reversed the crux as it was so scary - but only discovered this once went back up on a rope …!

If we have enough mats (good quality!) I want to have a play on pepper mill but need a lot and some very very solid spotters

1 Like

I should go on crescent arete again at some point but same rules apply, I’m not good off a rope … you will crush :slight_smile:

Cresent arrete may be my favourite climb at 5. Such lovely moves

1 Like

Yeah - i blew it years ago getting freaked out! Tried to reverse after the step left to the pocket. Doh. Got a few to revisit round the peak and should try a bit harder maybe :wink: - winter climbing this weekend if not too avalanchy. Have to arrange a catch up boulder session!

Crescent Arête is in my “in my head” visual dictionary as a definition/example of “irrational sh*t-me-up”

1 Like

Well I won’t be doing anything remotely high ball even with mats galore!

1 Like

Hello! I don’t think I’ll be able to collect JT’s mat before the weekend. Do we have enough? Should we ask other NLMC people?

I think we should have enough for the Saturday as sounds like Binit has loads. Sunday we’ll have 4 I think which should be fine if we stick around similar areas.

Guy

I’ve got 2 and could get another one. Also might be meeting friends I climb with from Sheffield in the peak so they could have lots of mats too

Let me know if I need to get the 3rd one.

If it’s easy to get hold off then would be great - but don’t worry if it will be a massive effort.

Guy

Yeah shouldn’t be an issue. They’re all medium sized mats unfortunately. Would be handy if someone has a big one or something like an organic blubber mat

What time are we looking to arrive at the crag on Saturday?

Unless the forecast changes for snow/rain I’ll be there at around 10.30ish.

If it looks like a non ideal forecast I’ll not do the drive down

About 10.30 if that’s reasonable?