New Members Meet 9-10 April 2022

@mikedlr there’s six(?) of us planning on heading up early on Friday, to get some climbing in… don’t know what the appetite would be to switch travel to Thu eve, but I’ll ask

Obviously, I meant these:

One must always have the appropriate footwear for the occasion :wink:.

As a second option (to save on weight of course) I was planning on bringing my B2 mountain boots as I only have one pair of climbing shoes, and they’re probably slightly too aggressive/uncomfortable for longer mountaineering-style routes. They’re more designed for mountaineering and scrambling than a walking boot.

I can sort a desert for saturday night @HollyP

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Apologies, super short notice, work plans have been changed on me this afternoon, I need to travel on Sunday rather than Monday so I can’t make Wales. Will amend spreadsheet now, hope this means someone else can squeeze it in. Apologies again!

All sorted. I’ve just put the order in for breakfast to be delivered on Friday am. Which includes halloumi and veggie sausages :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello
I’m driving Charlie, Ian and Daniel up on Friday. Charlie and Ian have been in touch but I don’t have Daniel’s contact details.
Daniel please can you DM me and i’ll set up a whatsapp for the three of us to coordinate where to meet.
Cheers

Is there anyone else leaving 6pm from North London? Alex M is still sick and may not be able to go.

I think he put his number on the spreadsheet? Click in the comment box to the right of his name

Thanks Holly, for some reasons I’d missed that column :slight_smile:

@IanS I’m also very up for doing a big mountain route. Amphitheater Butress looks awesome!

Yes, I’ve seen in the edit history that you changed it to some other number. I was not sure if that was a mistake or not, so decided to add it back as a comment

That’s odd.

FYI New & Prospective Members Who Have Never Been To The Cottage Before!

Here’s some info.

The club owns two properties -the Barn, which we rent out to groups, and Bryn Brethynau -‘The Cottage’ which is reserved solely for members and guests. Both are located in Capel Curig up a steep track accessed from the A5 at the back of the Bryn Glo car park. Follow the track up and you will get to an open field and the Barn, continue on and follow the track as it curves up to the Cottage. It feels further than it is. OS grid ref SH 736573, postcode: LL24 0DT

PARKING
There is a large car park by the Bryn Glo caffi on the north side of the A5, there are signs before the car park. The buildings are accessed via the only track leading up from the car park. There is a stile by the locked gate, and there should be an NLMC wheelie bin there. You can’t drive up the track.

THE COTTAGE
The Cottage is accessed via a codelock, the code is on the back of your membership card, or make sure you’re with a member when you first arrive, so you can get in. There is also a codelock on the shower block door which takes the same code. Do not give the code out to guests, treat it like a key. Sign in (book on table by window) as soon as you arrive. There is no booking system, just turn up and sign in, paying any guest fees (£6 a night, £5 for MCSA members) -put the money in one of the envelopes with your details, and put that in the safe on the wall by the burner.

If it is your first visit, please acquaint yourself with the building, fire escape routes and extinguishers etc.

The kitchen has gas ovens and stoves, fridges, microwave and plenty of pots, pans and crockery. Please bring your own food/drinks/coffee, other than that which has been decided for communal meals.

Upstairs there is a bunk room with 23 mattresses with cotton covers, there are some pillows. Please don’t take bags upstairs, leave them on the racking in the hall or landing.

Members often arrive late -very late!- so keep your belongings tidy, and don’t assume you will have the place to yourself! Tidy up as you go, and keep the amount of possessions in the front room to a minimum.

HEATING AND BURNER
There are storage heaters around the Cottage, these are left on all the time to try and keep the building dry and at a minimum temperature, but it can get cold in winter, especially upstairs.

We provide matches and firelighters, these are kept in the cubbyhole cut into the beam above the fireplace. The burner is currently a wood burner, leave some ash in the burner as it acts as a bed for the fire, excess ash is dumped over the wall outside the cottage. Seasoned wood is kept outside in the woodstores where it should be dry, take only what you need, and leave a few logs and some kindling inside for the next members when you leave. DO NOT chop kindling on the tiles as it will break them, do it outside on the splitting blocks. Don’t leave large piles of newspaper or card, we don’t need it; burn it or bin it, and don’t leave any burnables by the fire.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE
To stay at the Cottage you will need a sleeping bag/bedding, a torch, maybe earplugs, and your food.

LEAVING
Clean the Cottage before you leave, if there are several groups/members, discuss who will do what -don’t leave it to the last person to do everything. We don’t have cleaners, it is up to us. The Cottage should be left clean and tidy, that means using the hoover, brush, mop and cleaning toilets and showers.

Remove ALL perishables, that means leaving NO milk or any other food that will rot in the fridge -take it with you. If you have excess dry or tinned food, you can leave it in the communal shelves in the fridge, or on the communal food shelf.

Check you haven’t left anything behind, turn off all lights and the cooker and hobs. Make sure the windows and roof windows are shut, and the doors are locked behind you. The electric supply at the Cottage stays on, at the Barn it is turned off -follow the signs. The gas supplies stay on.
Report any issues to the Hut Warden so they can be sorted.

RUBBISH AND RECYCLING
Take all your rubbish with you, either home, or leave it in the NLMC wheelie bin by the gate. Don’t leave half any full bins in the Cottage if you are last out. Take all recycling, the nearest recycling point will be shown at the Cottage (I can’t remember right now!) or take it home.

2 Likes

Really Sorry guys, I’m still having this annoying cough so it’s probably best for me and everyone else if I skip this one, thought I’d be better by now but it’s coming and going, definitely not covid because I did LFTs and they’re negative. Really gutted to miss it as the weather seems to be good! Also have a gig on Monday so need to be alive for that one…

Deleted myself from the spreadsheet, hopefully didn’t do too much damage as I’m doing this from bed on the phone, I am really bad with spreadsheets anyway, so hopefully I didn’t delete anything important :slight_smile:

Have a good one everyone and hopefully see you soon!

Hi everyone,

I’d be keen to try a long outing on Lliwedd if anyone is up for it. I’ve never been up this face and the weather looks frosty :sweat_smile:. Perhaps Paradise?

Haha! I think my B3’s might be overkill. Will stick with approach shoes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are we thinking Friday or Saturday for this?

Very useful info for new members but the style was replaced by a gate a few years ago, thank goodness. It was dangerous, especially when carrying heavy sacs. Also please note that if you take guests only two are allowed. Amphitheater Buttress is a great route, I have done it in walking boots but B2 probably better. Parking is a problem but it can be accessed ( with an easier walk in but longer drive) from Cwm Eigiau. Lliwedd also very good but again a parking problem at weekends. You can start early and maybe get into Pen y Pass and pay £10 or park down near Pen y Gwryd pub and walk up. Some classic routes but route finding isn’t always easy and the holds tend to slope. Whatever you do have fun.

I’m confused? Isn’t Amphitheatre Buttress in the Carnedds so why park at Pen y Pass?

Park at Pen y Pass for Lliwedd. Sorry if it wasn’t clear.

Did you get a big jug of milk by any chance? Otherwise I can get one for everyone when shopping tomorrow.