New Members Meet 21-23 April 2023

Sign-up sheet for the April New Members Meet now live! Grab your spot now :smiley:

Please see the note below about prioritising experienced leaders/completely new members in the event the meet is oversusbcribed

Meet type: all kinds - easy trad, hard trad, easy sport, hard sport, scrambling, mountaineering, hiking, bouldering - you want it we got it. Suitable for people with no or little experience of trad climbing, as we will pair you with an experienced club member

Dates: 22/23 April (most people leaving London afternoon of 21st)

Location: NLMC cottage near Betws y Coed, North Wales. Sleeping bag, towel etc needed. Free for members, £7 p/n for guests

Experience needed: any level

Skills needed: lead belaying

Equipment required: basic (helmet, harness, belay device, rock shoes), plus ideally a prussic and spare carabiners for abseils, approach shoes/boots

Transport: car shares, please book a slot with a driver based on when they are leaving that suits you

Food: communal meal Saturday evening, communal breakfasts, please bring your own food for all other meals. Depending on when you arrive on Friday, you can get dinner at the local pub. The cottage kitchen is fully equipped with fridge/cooker/microwave etc.

Whoop!

Holly

NLMC New Members Sec

Places are strictly limited to 22 people. We only have use of the cottage this time, not the barn too, so everyone will be sleeping in the cottage unless you make other plans. If the meet is oversubscribed we will prioritise new/prospective members who have not been on a meet before.
If the meet is oversubscribed we will also need to ensure we have enough suitably experienced members around to take new/prospective members out.

NB: if you are new to the club you will need to climb with us on a Monday evening at the Castle before the meet, so we can ensure minimum safety & skills are met.

Can I sign up for this directly on the spreadsheet as a prospective new member? (I just did hope that’s OK)

I’m on the mailing list already as I was planning to join NLMC pre-covid but haven’t managed to join any meets since and I ciimb mostly at westway

Would probably join the meet together with my partner (Steph - also added to the list), happy to climb with others as well (I guess that’s partly the idea!).

Have plenty of experience, leading trad up to low extreme grades in past years when going well.

Do club members ever climb at westway? Or even at castle on other evenings. It’s usually a bit of a stretch to get to castle after work on a Monday.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom, very happy for you and Steph to join the meet. All we ask is that you both get your belaying verified by an existing member beforehand. Ideally this would be at a Monday Castle meet, failing that another night if you can arrange to meet with someone from the club. If you can both get to Westway during the day on Wednesdays or Fridays I can do a quick check (I work there).

Hi Holly,

I am in Morocco Trad climbing at the moment :smiley:

But it means I’ve not so good access to tools like google sheet… can I please put my name down and I’ll fill in all the details when I get back.

Hope that’s OK!

Oli Barton

Nice stealth boast there @OliB :laughing: yes all good. The list is now full, I think that’s the quickest ever!

Managed to do it, looking forward to meeting everyone.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Hi Holly! We met some years ago at the Castle, is it possible to join this event??:slight_smile:

Hi Laura, you can put your name down on the waiting list :slight_smile:

Just done, thank you!

I am pretty sure Laura is 22nd and therefore should be moved to the main list

Correct, now updated

1 Like

Thanks, timing doesn’t quite work for Westway daytime this week, are you there Wednesday/ Friday every week?

Might see I can get to the Castle on Monday but will be after night shift so depends how the weekend goes.

Hi Tom,

A small group of us usually boulder at the Castle on Wednesday evenings if that’s easier…we can certainly say hi and check belaying then
Cheers
Matt

Yes that would be ideal - I often climb at Westway on Wednesday evenings, will probably go to Westway again wednesday next week if I don’t make it to the castle on Monday

Thanks,

Tom

I might be in the Lake District that weekend but if I’m not, I might tag along? Got the van so no need to worry about me taking up space - can happily team up with anybody if needed for new member duties though. Will let you know closer to the time?

1 Like

Will be at westway tomorrow from around 5 - how can I find you?

My number is 07787791802

I think Matt climbs at the castle on Wednesdays not at Westway.

Correct, Castle not Westway.

OK thanks, looks like I misread this! Regardless, will be at westway tomorrow if anyone wants a belay/ wants to watch me belay. Will try to get to the castle another time.