Lake district meet - 31 July/1 August

No probs! I’ll try for that campsite nearer the time :slight_smile:

@Max_A @guyarnold I’ll be coming from Manchester by train. Let me know which train station you are targeting so we can both get picked up in one swoop.
Alternatively if there’s not enough car space we could share a taxi I guess

Hi Chris

This train would work for me, changing at Manchester Airport if anyone is driving North that evening could pick us up from Preston please?

Then if either of Peter or Paul can offer a lift back to London that would be a plan.

@ChrisLend oops, my route is clearly not via Manchester airport but is the best way for me to do the journey by some way.

Which campsite is it please? The Chapel Head one in Borrowdale?

If we’re hoping to go to the langstrath Inn we ought to get booking as the guy is a right … and dislikes campers and walk-ins even more

Hi @Max_A @ChrisLend I’m happy to pick you up from Preston or wherever. It’ll definitely be after 7:30…

And definitely happy to offer a trip back to London if it’s the most convenient. I’d prefer to drop off at Surbiton which is a quick ride into Waterloo.

Yeah it is. I will investigate…

@Max_A
Preston is easy to reach for me so that would work well.

@jelaby
thanks for the offer. regarding trip back: any train station outside of the lake district would do. I can take the train into Manchester then

Just double-checking. Are we confirmed for the 31st July -1st August weekend?
We are only weather dependent, am I right?

Tobia

Hello again - oops! I misread the calendar and Dale’s shifts so as he doesn’t finish until 7am on Sat morning we’ll be potentially just coming up for a day on Sunday. So our camping spot for Sat night can be used by someone else?

Would I be able to grab this? @guyarnold ? Indeed, would I be able to join from the Friday?

If not, what is the campsite, please, so I can make my own arrangements.

Sorry, just got in to this, very late!!

Unfortunately, I may have to withdraw from this meet, owing to a persistant shoulder injury. I’ll review later this week, but it’s not looking promising.

Hi @guyarnold. Not sure My last post went to all. Seeing some withdrawing, and forgot to put my name forward. Would there be room for me? Wish to drive from near Hemel Friday and able to offer lifts.

Best wishes
Che.

I’m sure that’s fine che. I’m not going to come on the Friday night anyway as am staying nearby so there should be space. Would you mind filling in the google sheet?

1 Like

Done! Is it NT Campsite Langdales?

Anyone wanting lift from Hemel or nearby stations Friday, please let me know

I’m pretty sure it’s the Chapel House Farm campsite in Borrowdale, @Che

Ive had to remove myself from the spreadsheet, owing to injury. Hopefully I’ll be mended and attending a climbing trip again soon. Have a great time everyone.

What food options are there for Saturday night? Is anyone up for one of the pubs in Rosthwaite/Stonethwaite.

Thinking about lifts - I’ve agreed to take @Tobia_Zantedeschi from London and @Max_A and @ChrisLend from Preston (and Max back to London), but I’m conscious that there are quite a few who need a lift from and/or to London and not many of us driving. Do @Miguel, @George_T, @LIon have lifts? It’s there any shuffling around that can be done to fit everyone in?

My car will take 4 passengers, uncomfortably.

We stayed at Chapel Farm campsite last weekend- it was generally okay, but there may be a couple of relevant details that may/ may not be relevant for your booking.

We had to get there for 21:00 at the latest (as per the campsite’s requirement). I took a half-day annual leave to get there for that time, leaving London around 14:30.

This posed issues on the M1 and M6, specifically around the long sections of lower-average-speed roadworks. As we were travelling during the working day, ahead of a fine-weather weekend, these lower-speed sections had big delays due to the volumes of traffic and HGVs being compressed into the narrow lanes etc.

We ended up getting to Borrowdale around 22:15. The campsite were okay-ish about it (we had to call and explain the problem), but other guests complained that we had arrived late etc.

We had another August booking for the site which we cancelled due to the impossibility of guaranteeing a 21:00 arrival (short of using a full day’s annual leave). Ironically, if there were flexibility around the arrival time, an 18:00 London departure would probably miss the working day traffic, and allow arrival around midnight, including stops etc.

Perhaps something to be aware of?

Will

Hi Paul - I looked at the langstaff but they never replied to my calls or responded to my emails…

I have been very busy last week or so… but will try some of the others this week. We have been in the lakes for a week and a bit and it is indeed heinously busy. As per wills warning, it took some of the guests to our wedding (hence my being busy) 9 hours to get here from London….

Will look at car shuffling too - hopefully with the addition of che we should be ok even though Peter sadly can’t make it.

Guy