Castle Monday Night Meets

Hi Kristina. I plan to be there, all being well.
Probably from about 7. At the old cafe lead walls wearing pink top.

howdy. i’ll be there from 6 with rope. blue shorts, white vest :grin:

Lovely, I’ll be there in the café lead area from around 7pm: teal BMC t-shirt and blue rope.

Hi all. I’m looking to join the NLMC and have been advised to pop along to the Castle on Mondays to hook up, show my knot and belay skills and get a couple of sponsors to sign me up. I’m planning to be at the Castle tomorrow (Mon 31 July) and hope to meet some of you then and talk more about the club.

Steve D

2 Likes

Hi all, is anyone else going to the castle on 1 august? If so, what time? I have just finished my rci training in Snowdonia. Have also sports climbed with Holly P in Portland. Would love to meet some of you lovely climbers :grinning:

1 Like

I won’t make today, as I feel a bit woozy after waiting for trains in the middle of the night.
I will be happy to pop over to the castle tomorrow. I prefer day time, mornings.
At the mo I am aiming for around 10am. If you are up for it text me.
G.

@Stephen_Deaville unfortunately I’m not sure if anyone’s turning up tomorrow. If you do go then people normally meet at 7PM in the overhanging lead area on the 1st floor and normally several turn up that don’t read chat reliably but nobody confirmed and many are likely away.

@Andrew6783 I’ll meet Greg tomorrow morning 10:30. If you are there I’m sure we can belay you.

Hey there! JT and I should be there and also Jess and Ben are around at least,
Aiming to be there from around 6/6:30ish!
I will be wearing a white pigfish t-shirt that says NLMC,
See you later,
Laura

1 Like

Me and Geoff are here as well. I have a grey Volcom Hawaii teeshirt and black shorts.
See you later

1 Like

Hey all. I’m at the Castle today (monday) if anyone is around? Wearing a grey top and camo long shorts.

I’m here too! Blue t-shirt, glasses and black shorts

Hey, looks like a lovely time was had in Pembroke! Anyone planning to be at the Castle this eve? I’ll be there, teal T-shit, grey shorts …

I’ll be there. Only just recovered from a knee injury so finally back to it and managed to put in my membership application today too. I’ll be in black shorts and a white tank, with a brand new rope hopefully

That makes two of us – I’m recovering from an ankle sprain! I’ll be there around 6.45, in the old café lead area

Coming in hot (a little late)

thinking of buying a rope - what is the max wall size at the castle? is it worth getting a rope just for indoors (i.e. for ease of transport etc.) or can you realistically double up indoor/outdoor? Thinking about: thickness & length

I think the highest wall at the Castle is about 14 metres. It is convenient to have a separate wall rope, easier to carry, less damage to your long rope, just get a cheap one. I had a Beal Karma, it was pretty great. Not sure what would be the cheapest now

If you train a lot a dedicated rope is a better choice. The walls are under 13m at the castle. Most people have 30m, 10mm for durability. My friend gets away with 25m, but you MUST put a stopper knot.
Best will be if you ask at the reception re. the height of the walls.

1 Like

@tommylees112 I’d definitely get a 30m rope for indoors (I actually have a 35 myself) if you go to the Reach, Westway or Ratho near Edinburgh a 25 will run out. I’ve checked and the Castle’s highest is 13, Westway 13.5 and the Reach has 16M but measured along the overhang so the way down is shorter.

Anyone want to lead climb tonight? Castle or mile end!