Castle Monday Night Meets

Hi all - you may or may not have seen the prime minister’s recent press conference where social distancing measures were outlined. These need to be enacted now for your safety and others.

Can I suggest that no one goes to the climbing wall in these circumstances, starting with the meet today.

This is not yet a committee decision just me suggesting everyone does their duty by their neighbours! The committee will be discussing and guidance about future meets will be on its way.

Guy

3 Likes

This is now a committee decision.

All indoor meets have been cancelled until further notice.

I will post separately about the cancellation of all outdoor meets.

Guy

Castle was very quiet tonight. I cannot imagine it will be too long before they close, either on government advice or for revenue reasons.

1 Like

would they get to claim insurance if the government forces closure? If the Castle, and other centres, are in the same situation as theatres, pubs, etc, and would prefer to be forced to close, i think we should do some kind of lobbying for this to happen ASAP.

I’ll email the Castle and find out

Also The Stronghold has offically closed from today.

Outside London, my nearest bouldering wall (Loughborough) has closed from today. I expect the vast majority of such facilities will follow suit in the next 48 hours.

Mile End has just announced they’re closing from tomorrow.

Morning everyone!

This is my first post at the NLMC so please be nice…

I’m in the process of becoming a new member but in order to do this I need to be vetted by a committee member. I’ll be at the castle Saturday 17th (AM) and Monday 19th of April (PM).

Does this fit in with anyone? Please advise. Matthew.

Hi Matthew, welcome to the forums and nice to meet you as it were. I will be at the Castle from 4-6 on Monday for autobelays but the vetting is essentially checking your lead belaying, so if you aren’t leading I’ll be delighted to say hi but that’s all. If you don’t have a regular lead partner I suppose we will need someone from the committee to volunteer to climb with you :upside_down_face: …thus could any volunteers please make your availability known hereabouts.

@MattGee - Bit tricky to watch the belaying whilst you are doing the climbing though! :joy:

Can we get it added to this weeks agenda, as we haven’t had to plan it out before?

The castle weekend slots were like rocking horse **** last time to get a hold of let alone coordinate with separate groups and against the wall rules currently as they stand…

Indeed @Mark_W it has been added!

1 Like

Thank you Gents!,

I was hoping The Castle would be kind enough to spare a lead route for 30mins. Although as you say spaces are of a premium at the moment.

I’ve been a member for over 10 years so have no problem asking the duty managers if this is possible.

Alternatively im happy to book a slot with a committee member specifically to watch me belay (myself/Ed Thomas/committee member) at a time and date that suits?

Regards

I’m also interested in joining and am without a regular lead partner, as I’ve just moved (back) to the UK. I used to climb at the Castle and would love to meet up with club members there again, though I understand they are not allowing households to mix right now.

Opening this thread again.The official “Castle Monday night meets” have not started yet and we aren’t looking at taking on new members until the June legal restrictions are lifted.

With the 17th of May roll out of the “rule of 6 or 2 households” indoor mixing, it may be possible for you to climb with other people indoors if the venue allows it.

Please be reasonable, it will be very nice to see some of you again in the near future :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yo yo yo…been climbing at mile end…5.30 slot…noice! will be there thurs :hugs:

3 Likes

An update after the NLMC committee meeting tonight, we are pleased to announce the regular Monday club nights at the Castle have started from next week!

Currently if you are a Castle annual or monthly member then you no longer have to book slots, however if you are on pay-per-climb you need to. So worth a quick post on here first to see if anyone will be about (Matt or Holly normally are).

We are also open for new members again, but please be reasonable in terms of following the wall rules. Sure everyone would be sensible anyway, it is a big step towards having the club fully back up and running again :wink:

3 Likes

Hooray!
I’ve booked a 6pm slot next Monday 16th so look forward to seeing you lovely lot again after god knows how long. Too long.

Prospective new members: please let me know if you can join next Monday and I’ll arrange to meet up with you :slight_smile:

3 Likes