Alps (July) 2022: Ailefroide

Hello in the process of finalising my last day with work but looks like at the moment that I won’t be able to leave until 11th July and then I plan to drive to Alps on my own. So my dates realistically will be from 13th July but then open-ended as I will be a free agent

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it to Ailefroide this time due to crossover with another commitment. I’ve taken myself off the spreadsheet. Hope to be able to make some of the other upcoming meets!!

Don’t forget to get your Crit’Air for your vehicle Crit'Air clean air stickers - need to know for driving in France | RAC Drive

Looks like only needed in certain cities. Hope so as we are going into weeks.

We have booked ourselves into the campsite from 9th-16th July.

Hope to see many others there!

1 Like

Moi aussi! Très excité!
napoleon

2 Likes

Does anyone have any intel on guidebooks for some of the alpine rock routes? I know there’s a topo online for the dibona but can’t find anything for the Meije or the sialouze.

The guide suggested by ukc seems relatively scarce and out of print (may of course be possible to pick it up locally).

Guy, I climbed the Dibona a few years back with JT and Aurelio. I’ve English and French guidebooks that I’d be happy to scan key routes from. Steve

Specifically:
Oisins Nouveau Oisins Sauvage East and West
Grimper Dans Le Haut-Val Durance
Ecrins Ascensions Choisies
Sommets des Ecrins les plus belles courses faciles

Hi Steve - that would amazing thanks v much! If you don’t mind I’ll drop you a message separately with the routes I was thinking of?

Guy

Hi Stephen,

I’ve not been to the Ecrins before so any route recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers Ian

I am sadly going to pass up on the Alps trip this time, as I’m booking in for a mountaineering course elsewhere. Though this should mean I’ll be more confident to join in on mountain routes in future!

I think I’ve figured out how I’m going to get there, but still unclear the best way to get back to London. I’m ideally looking to fly on Saturday 16th. Turin airport looks the closest (just 2hrs drive) but is anyone renting a car from there or going in the same direction to get back?

Hi Charlie, I have to sort my travel plans out in the coming days, Turin is one route I was looking at… so I may do. Mind if I ask how are you getting there? I am going out Friday or Saturday and returning Saturday or Sunday. Geoff

FYI - anyone in need of a guidebook.

I’m thinking of driving. Need to be back on Sunday. Might leave a couple of days early.

Is anyone interested in travelling with me?

Hi Geoff, I’m flying to Lyon on the 5th and spending a few days with a guide and an old climbing buddy somewhere in the area. My climbing buddy has a car so I’ll be high and dry after the 11th.

Like Lottie I’ve decided I need a basic grounding in mountaineering so have booked myself onto an intro to mountaineering course elsewhere! Hope to join in future years though :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I’ve realised I’m not going to be able to manage this within the the summer examining period, so am bowing out.

Hello everyone,

I’ve booked the campsite from 9th July to 24th July but intend to stay out in Alps / Europe for longer until the end of August.

So if anyone wants to extend their trip or want to meet up later I will be available to climb with.

Cheers Ian