Alps (July) 2022: Ailefroide

Would you like to rephrase that. Sounds rude.

Catholic-friendly…

1 Like

Richard, this is a family friendly club, despite your best efforts!

(Although the record would seem to indicate that you were quite adept at pulling out.)

Yep, but all the stops.

1 Like

Good effort guys - looks like this is going to be a popular one!

I’ll get in touch with the campsite and reserve us a corner of a foreign field that shall be forever (by which I mean, for 7 days) a part of England

1 Like

Ok so I’ve been in touch with the campsite and they say this:

"Bonjour

Les réservations se font sur notre site internet ailefroide.fr.

Il est préférable de faire des réservations individuelles ou par couples en fonction des jours d’arrivés et du règlement final.

Vous pourrez choisir votre emplacement et vous regrouper le jour de votre arrivée.

Cordialement"

For you English pig-dogs, that means: best to book on an individual or couple’s/small group basis for the precise dates you want, and when we get there we can all choose a place to take over near each other for the week.

The campsite is massive, so that ought not to be a problem. Last year it got quite crowded, but that was because of Covid I think so likely this year things will get back to normal and we shouldn’t have any difficulty just pitching tents and vans near to each other.

The take home message, though, is don’t rely on me. You can risk just rocking up on the day, but probably safer to book before you arrive.

sorry guys…not gonna be able to make it now…my colleague took off most of july…so i am left holding the baby!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

New edition of the Briancon Climbs guidebook is now out. Very useful for anyone wanting to explore the wider region, and it will have a lot of the rock climbs in and around the camping area in there.

Note that a lot of the Ailefroide Multipitch is also on the Rockfax app now. And they’ve upped the grades on loads of the routes too, so some of your 2018 sends just got better. Or at least, mine did.

I know it’s still a little way off, but doing some thinking around getting down to the Alps in July and wanted to gauge interest in lifts. I am looking to drive and want to book the crossing asap before it gets even more expensive. I haven’t driven down there before, so would also take recommendations for the trip.

Currently looking at leaving Friday 8th afternoon, stopping over on the way down arriving to campsite early evening on Sat 9th. Thinking about doing the back in one go with early start getting back late on Sat 16th (unless there is a strong preference otherwise to get back on Sunday).

Will be dropping of my partner with his bike somewhere mid-France and then giving him a lift back, but will have room for 2 more. Don’t have to be drivers, although could be handy.

My initial estimate split between 3/4 it looks like it will cost £160 -£200 return with fuel, tolls, channel crossing (ferry might be cheaper but slower).

Let me know if there are any takers so we can coordinate and book crossings etc.

1 Like

Following on from Tilly’s helpful prompt:

I was in Paris today and my French relatives reckon a lot of French may opt to holiday in France again this year so if you know you want to come on this meet it’s probably wise to book the campsite sooner rather than later.

As per above, they won’t accept a group booking on behalf of NLMC so just email them for yourself/your party.

Hi Tilly. Sounds great - I’m interested.
Unfortunately, the return might not work so well for me. Looks like I’ll need to be back on the Sunday, ideally in the morning/lunchtime - which probably doesn’t fit very well with leaving on Sat evening. (Of course, I could probably get the train home - but that’s less good for you too).

So, if there are other takers with fewer time constraints, that’ll probably work better for you (and even better - other takers who, unlike me, can drive!)
But given all that, if there is a spot in the car, I’m keen!

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Tilly, also interested although I may choose to stay after Sunday 17th, other travel options permitting, so I am fine with you prioritising people matching your exact travel dates.

Bob, apologies if it wasn’t clear in my first message. Currently thinking is to do a big drive on the Saturday and get back very late on Saturday 16th evening. So that could work if you need to be back for Sunday. I’ll work through timings in a bit more detail and let you know.

Matt, it probably would be ok if you only have a lift one way, if that’s the way it works out. I’m most keen to have company for the way out as Glyn will be there to share the driving with me on the way back.

If there isn’t a second driver, should still be ok will just need more breaks. Anyway sounds like there is some interest that could work, so I’ll look at crossings this weekend!

1 Like

Thanks Tilly - you were clear and I didn’t read the message properly!
Sounds perfect.

Hi All & TIlly,

Trying to make a decision on means of travel…

Does anyone have advice on the best place to fly to for Adelfroide? Grenoble? Is there anyone with a flight booked already that I could sync with?

Best
Geoff

Hi Geoff, I think flying to Grenoble can be a bit tricky as there aren’t many flights or possibly very few from London anyway…?
https://www.grenoble-airport.com/en/flights-travel/airline-companies
Turin is the usual option.
Or you can get the Eurostar to Paris and then a sleeper train to Briancon.

By the way, I’ve got this book and it seems that I won’t make it to the Alps so I’m happy to lend it to anyone who is interested

Just adding to this if Turin not working - getting to Grenoble from Zurich by train is very easy and possibily even direct from the airport worst case one change in Zurich (there is a train station in the airport).

Good quality cheap bus (coach) is certainly available Grenoble to Briancon.

But Turin is closer - a (much reduced) transfer bus was servicing the relevant ski resorts this season. @MattGee what’s the usual form getting from Briancon to Ailefroide? Hire car?

You can get a taxi, you don’t necessarily need a car once in the valley

2 Likes

Am unexpectedly available for this. Given the cost, it’s very much conditional on shared travelling. Happy to drive or be driven. Can do 9th-16th. Must be back by sensible o’clock on 17th, for definite!