Spring working meet 23-24 March

the committee took the decision based on what they felt best for the club, and what would give you the most to grumble about! They do their best.

It’s a nice sofa and suitable (in my view)

See you at the weekend

Hmm. As long as the comfy chairs stay.

I’m hoping to get as much work done on the shed as we can, and this will be the major project:
first off we will be clearing out the contents, sorting it and taking any junk to the bottom of the hill, burning any wormy wood and tidying the outside.
Then we can have a look at the floor and relay the slabs as best is possible, this may take some time!
At the same time I hope we can have a team making a new window frame and door frame, before internally we build a new workbench and prep for racking…plenty to do -will we all fit?

To those that offered carpentry skills etc and offered to bring tools, we could probably do with another cordless drill and a tenon saw

we thought these looked good

4 Likes

And I thought it was just some of us older members who were prickly.

Chiz, is it an option that we can store the chairs for a bit in the shed? (I know this may fall short of your ideals for the space). Then, if we decide the sofa isn’t working, we could reinstate the chairs and probably get a charity to collect the sofa?

JT, the main aim of this working meet is to declutter the shed and get rid of the rubbish in one go, not put more stuff in there. Leaving chairs in there, they will just go mouldy. We could see about putting a couple in the Barn. One of the chairs (usually by the door) is totally broken, they are all tired and the foam is probably super flammable. Several are pretty gash. There are a few decent chairs and they will obviously stay.

Storing the excess chairs (which will be the worst ones we have) in the shed isn’t an option in my mind. I’d rather we bought some more from another old people’s home if that was the decision of the committee. What do we end up doing? Swapping furniture depending on who is stopping at the Cottage?!? In my time as Hut Warden I have tried hard to reduce clutter and extra furniture and I would not support a two or three person sofa. This is not a two seater chesterfield, it will run along the whole wall and provide seating for up to five, which I think is more than currently.

Members who stand for committee roles act to the best of their best ability for the good of the club. All the committee members are fully aware of and understand the function, history and ethos of the Cottage. I understand this was discussed and voted on (I wasn’t there and didn’t have a vote). Should we have a referendum?

I’m really looking forward to not being on committee.

2 Likes

Wait til you see the curtains I’ve had made, lovely pelmets

Hi Chiz - was a suggestion re chairs, happy to take your lead on this! NB curtains like this would work well with the prickly green sofa. jt

2 Likes

NLMC branded antimacassars are the next step. And footstools with @jrtomlins face on.

When is my sound system getting installed?

Hi team, unfortunately having said I’ll come, it is most likely that I’ll need to drop out, I was ill and bedbound all last weekend which has put me behind on some domestic projects. If somehow I get those completed before the working meet I’ll come and lend a hand but frankly it seems unlikely. I’ll endeavour to make up for this absence at the next one. Sorry to let the side down

Kenny

1 Like

hope you’re feeling better Kenny, catch up at some point

Sorry everyone I will also have to drop out as I’ve done something to my knee and it hurts to extend the leg.

Sorry folks. I’m going to have to bail too. Hope to catch up with you all another time.

Super looking forward to the weekend and catching up!

I need to be in London on Monday am so wondering if it’s possible to hitch a lift with anyone heading that way on Sunday eve? :slight_smile:

I have a space Jo; heading to the Piccadilly Line.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter! I’ll definitely take that on Sunday :slight_smile:

Just home from Working Meet, just to say a very quick thank you to everyone who came along and worked so hard on one or both days. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, great to see some old friends, the club’s youngest member, and to get so much done. Really top quality work too. We now really do have three huts.

And thanks to all of you that have come to working meets over the last few years, you’ve all been amazing. Thank you, and for the card and single malt.

Special thanks to Manchi who couldn’t make it, but did stellar work organising and liasing. Thank you!

3 Likes

Chiz thank you once again for all your work - you’ve done an amazing job and the properties look so great.

2 Likes