Scotland/Skye Meet 24th May- 2nd June

That sounds like a fantasy adventure!

1 Like

I might be up for this, if you guys are willing to take a newbie along.
I havenā€™t done any trad yet and would mostly be interested in some mountain routes and scrambling.
Iā€™ll know for sure whether I can make it by the end of the week.

1 Like

Roll up, roll up. The more the merrier.

For those with little experience: fear not. I took 3 friends (two of whom have never done anything beyond hill walking, the other only seconding to VDiff) scrambling up the Cuillin last year. We had a fantastic time. Skye is so amazing even if you just go scrambling you will not regret it.

1 Like

Seconded. But the Cuillin is a serious place. It is a level above anywhere else in UK.

For the less experienced Skyeā€™s an amazing place whether for scrambles or climbs or mountaineering routes somewhere in between (thereā€™s not really many straight ā€˜walksā€™, also gorge scrambles, swimming pools and even some boulders (shh!).

To get the most out of it you just need to be able to belay really, and have a harness. Ability to abseil would help, but can usually lower off, and many of the abs on eg the main traverse are downclimbable or pretty short.

A decent amount of scrambling experience would really help, but there is enough rock to pick up the skills over the week, and there would always be a rope about. There is lots of loose rock, and there is some of the most giddying exposure, even on easy routes, with technically easy downclimbs dropping away vertically out of site. Routefinding nous is very useful!

The walk ins are pretty long, so hill fitness helps. Weā€™ve had brilliant weather the last couple of years, and the midges should be only just coming out. If we get a good High pressure system then it will be awesome.

There are some of the most monstrously awesome low grade routes like Pinnacle Ridge (utterly brilliant Diff), the Dubh Slabs at Mod, and noone should go to the Cuillin without climbing the window pitch on Little Gully below the Cioch (Diff/bonkers).

Obviously climbing a little bit harder opens yet more classic options, like Arrow Route and Integrity on the Cioch, but Skye is made for long mountain days where the situation, views and sheer amount of rock can mean so much more than a grade.

Expect looong days, big smiles, and a touch of fatigue. If you have any fingerprints left by the end of the week you will be lucky!

(other possible destinations have lots of scrambling/ridge walking options, proper classic stuff)

2 Likes

Would be well up for Botterillā€™s Slab Peter!

Ok, hopefully this worksā€¦spreadsheet for info. If you are interested in coming please fill it out, and we can look at logistics etc.

The doc is read only Chiz - you should be able to edit it to allow anyone to update it.

Afraid notā€¦

Yup, sorted

1 Like

Awesome! Count me in :blush: providing I sort work! Will know by Friday :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™m going to suggest we meet up in the Lakes on the Friday night. Having done the Glen Coe drive several times it is a killer (nine hours from London) and pretty much wipes out the next day for the driver, whereas Lakes is just over 5 hours. We can look at a campsite or there are park ups with space for tents.

Can climb all day in Lakes, then head up to Glen Coe that evening (under five hours), food at Tebay Services is excellent

Will all depend on vehicles though so please fill out the spreadsheet, even if only a ā€˜possibleā€™ at the moment.

@PaulSagar, might you be able to give lifts out on the 31st if anyone canā€™t do second weekend?

Yes, but only as far south as Liverpool. Could easily drop off in e.g. Carlisle for trains though.

1 Like

And only one person, as only one seat in the front apart from the one I sit in.

1 Like

Botterillā€™s Slab looks good @chizharward, itā€™s just a matter of whether thereā€™s time to get over and up there.

yarp, could go up the Esk Gorge way, but Gimmer or Dow be easier and quicker. Must do more in Lakes!

Indeed, I also want to climb on Great Gable and probably Pillar Rock some time too!

1 Like

Thereā€™s an awesome bothy Iā€™ve stayed in right by here too :slight_smile:

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/north-west-highlands-islands/lookout-rubha-hunish/

@chizharward which Scotland guide books do you think we should have? I have the Skye one and the Scotland North one; canā€™t decide whether whether I need any others.

1 Like

I have SMC Ben Nevis, SMC Scottish Rock, SMC Northern Highlands Central

Old version of Skye Scrambles, plus Old Skye Rock and Ice
Scrambles in Lochaber

Also Harveys maps for much of west highlands, and I think two copies of Harveys Cuillin map and Rockfax traverse miniguide

and FRCC selected rock and Lake District maps

Iā€™ve used the Gary Latter selected book on previous trips and that is very good

It splits along the Great Glen, with Volume 1 for the south, and volume 2 for the north. It would be good to have both if possible to combine with the SMC Scottich Rock as Latterā€™s has more depth as is 2 volumes.

Scottish Rock is great though, and covers whole country, with very good coverage of the best crags.

It would be good to have an extra selected guide so can split up if needed, although can always take photos on phoneā€¦I guess you and Paul will go do something harder for a couple of days?