Scotland/Skye Meet 24th May- 2nd June

Hi all, initial heads up that the Scotland meet will be on at the end of May. It is a pretty informal roving affair, with a few of us heading north on the Friday night in search of long routes, late evening daylight and clear blue seas. I’ll be leaving from Stroud in the van and have space for two passengers. Can pick up en route or meet up in Scotland.

Where:
North!
Scotland, often west coast, and usually Skye. We will go where the weather is best, and the midges least. This is often a slightly meandering trip although if the usual Whitsun high pressure system turns up we may well set up a base camp and stick in one spot, usually Glen Brittle. We often stop off for a day at Ben Nevis for a gentle leg stretcher like Tower Ridge, North East Buttress or something a bit more technical. Last year we mostly roasted in the Cuillin all week. We usually stop off on the way up and back to break the journey, often in Glen Coe or the Lakes, for a climb and swim.

The climbing:
Trad mostly, although some bouldering has been done. This is not really a sport sclimbing trip. Scotland has everything from long mountaineering routes to even longer scrambles and ridge traverses, inland cragging and multi pitch, sea cliffs, and then there is Skye where there is all of the above, and more. Usually do sections or the full traverse of the Black Cuillin Ridge, which is pretty much the best day you can have on rock.

Accommodation:
We’d either wild camp, or stay at basic camp sites like Glen Brittle on Skye, so low cost once fuel is sorted. I’ll have the van so room for a boulder mat. I may take my kayak.

Cooking:
Past meets have established a tradition of fine dining, rather than cup’a’soup and pasta, we usually stock up in Fort William and have communal meals, usually at 11pm after a very long day on the hill. Expect haggis. And single malt.

Who:
everyone welcome!

Please fill out the spreadsheet to help with the herding https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lu09xkKRhgApVLiG7r40mNCXOH8S82JPEv9dGvVQqK8/edit?usp=sharing

@guyarnold and I are heading to the far North West the week before, but if the weather is good and I think I can get away with skiving off work by taking my laptop to suitable cafes at strategic moments, I will likely join up after I drop Guy at Inverness airport.

Strong preference for Skye just because although I’ve been there a fair few times I’ve hardly done any climbing. Would also love to do the full Cuillin Ridge Traverse if anyone else fancies a big alpine day.

1 Like

Skye is the best! It’s been the default destination, and for a reason. Loads of amazing routes, at all grades, up on the Cuillin. I’m usually up for doing the traverse, we did a two dayer with a boutique bivi last year, one day traverse is easier I reckon!

1 Like

I would be happy to join, that traverse on its own is really appealing to me.

2 Likes

I’m interested.

2 Likes

@jrtomlins I’m desperate to go to Kilt Rock and do Grey Panther. Fancy it?

2 Likes

Sorry, for delay, been away. All sounds good, more the merrier

Definitely!

1 Like

I’m currently planning to come along. Please book a space for me if we reserve camping. I’ll probably be climbing mostly at the weekends. I think I have a lift up and down but won’t have a car whilst there. I’ll bring a bike and a bouldering pad if they can fit. I would prefer a fixed base with a cafe within about 1/2 an hour cycle max.

1 Like

Good stuff Mike, just as a warning though, this is a roving meet over up to nine days, with no fixed plan, following the weather. We’re just as likely to be wild camping as on a campsite, don’t worry about reservations, it’s not that kind of trip!

Having said that one likely base is Glenbrittle and that has a cafe

Weekends may well be largely heading up/back so likely to be Glen Coe/Ben Nevis way rather than Skye/further afield which is probably easier for you?

Glenbrittle campsite wifi was pretty non-functional last August, if that matters…

I am interested, but exclusively for climbing.

2 Likes

ah, does Mike mean for wi-fi? I thought it was for over-priced coffee and a fry up.
3G up on the ridge!

Unfortunately I’m now not going to be able to come to the Skye meet because LIVERPOOL ARE IN THE FUCKING CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL THAT WEEKEND

1 Like

(Perhaps I may just come back a bit early)

so it seems that the meet requires full 4G wifi, and a big screen telly with the football on?

Fuck that, the meet would have to be in Liverpool or Madrid

I’m sure they could hear you in Madrid from Skye.

1 Like

I’ll do my best to make it so, wherever I am.

Hi Chiz
As per previous discussions I’m going to have to miss this year’s trip :scream:
I’ll be back for 2020 though!

Hope you have a great time…