Scotland/Skye Meet 24th May- 2nd June

Sad face :frowning:

Weā€™ll have to do the traverse next year instead. Iā€™ll take tangfastics, you take salt tablets, deal?

Right, now the football is sortedā€¦
a couple of weeks to go, who is in? Will try and do some form of spreadsheet, but in meantime, lets see who is coming, for how long, what they would like to climb, vehicles etc.

We can then sort meeting up etc and where to rendezvous. Previously have met up in the Lakes so is not too much of a killer drive first night, do a day climbing there, then up to Glen Coe the Saturday night. Have also driven straight through to Glen Coe, though it did mean I fell asleep on lead the next morningā€¦

To kick things offā€¦ Iā€™m heading up from Stroud with my van on the Friday afternoon. Can pick up from a station heading north M5/M6/Glasgow/Fort William etc. Will be heading back on the following Sunday, to Stroud.

Room in van for two passengers plus space for climbing/camping tat. Will have ropes and full rack and selection Scottish topos. Have group cooking stuff etc in van. Possibly kayak on roof.

Looking to do longer easier mountain routes from scrambles up to VS ish. Maybe some harder single pitch if Iā€™m feeling the love. Cuillin classics and probably a ridge traverse if weather is set fair. Possible Bhasteir gorge exploration if midges allow.

Oh, and make sure you have sunscreen, midge headnets and tick removers!

In the Lakes Iā€™d love a day on some of the Langdale classics; Gimmer https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=345#maps or White Ghyll https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=341. Or Dow if it is warm enough.

On the Ben for a leg-stretcher Iā€™ve not done Observatory Buttress

Going up a few weeks early via Peaks, Lakes etc. Returning via Snowdonia. Need climbing buddies upto V.Diff. May push my grade to severe while on the road. Will be checking the ridge in prep for a traverse later in the year/next year. Also with LMC based in Sligachan. Got 2 spare seats for anyone whoā€™s got a month (or part of) to spare :smile:

Looks like Iā€™ll be swinging by (weather and work permitting) on Tuesday 28th after a trip to the far north west, looking to climb/scramble on the 29th and 30th, then heading to Merseyside on the 31st.

Basically if anyone is around and wants to climb those two days, Iā€™ll be game. Keen to do Grey Panther if possible, then whatever else.

Indeed and yes absolutely!

Very important advice, although repellent and a tick tool wonā€™t always guarantee you donā€™t get Lyme Disease :face_with_thermometer:

Also, this looks amazing:

I am still interested in coming, for rock climbing only though, as my knee wonā€™t allow me to . I have full rack, 50m half ropes & 60m abseil rope and would plan to drive from London; Lakes stop off sounds good.

missed a word off there Peter! Assume knee means no long mountain routes, scrambling or just long walk ins and walk offs??

Iā€™d be up for a weekend rock climbing in the Lakes but do prefer mountain routes. It doesnā€™t look like there is much need to be further north before Paul is done with Guy. How long a walk in is too long? Gimmer distance ok? Or must be roadside?

I still want to go to Skye and will probably have a solo go at the ridge if noone else is up for it.

I should be fine doing mountain routes, Iā€™d just look to walk back down steadily. If weather was appropriate Iā€™d actually love to climb on Scafell buttress, or Great Gable, as Iā€™ve climbed there, but I appreciate that they are further afield.

@Peter, @jrtomlins is claiming he wonā€™t second Grey Panther so I am happy to ditch him for you - unless you want to lead it. In which case NOBODY will get to climb it.

I believe this is what experimental game theorists call The Climbersā€™ Dilemma.

Hey guys!

Been keeping an eye on this - Iā€™m very keen to do the Cuillin this summer, but not sure on experience needed for cuillin? - and wouldnā€™t wanna hold anyone up/make them uncomfortable with such a newbie for company :blush:.

For context Iā€™ve only summer trad climbed once at diff, but have done some winter stuffā€¦ Iā€™ve done a few of the easier ridges ( helvellyn, sharp edge etc) and the like but none with pitches on. Have done fiacaille ridge in winter too for context. Iā€™ve also got some big easier alpine summits in the bag so know Iā€™m okay for a long dayā€¦ but really unsure of experience necessary for cuillin? Any thoughts?

Might also be keen to hop over to Torridon and do the horns of beinn alligin if I was making the journey and anyone fancied it?

Cheers

Katy

I would be really happy to join someone on longer multi-pitch routes (I am around leading HS now), also happy for some long walk/scrambles/mountaineering/conditioning but I donā€™t want to go so far and spend all these days without using a rope :worried:
(In my better times that should come back one day, I was leading eg. the orange and yellow lines, uiaa grades/~hvs, https://drytooling.com.pl/images/artykuly/tatry-bez-mlotka-zamarla-turnia.jpg)

@PaulSagar, Grey Panther is amenable according to UKC, so I am up for it.

1 Like

Hi Katy, the full ridge is a pretty big day out, main thing is exposure, route finding and keeping going, but thereā€™s a lot of less committing scrambles than the whole traverse! How much summer scrambling have you done?

Am sure there would be lots to have a go at on Skye, Iā€™m very happy doing lower grade climbs.

Got to go dig a hole, chat later?

Sounds great Adam, I also used to climb hvs, but probably around the same as you now. Speak later

Hi there!

My cycling plans for these dates have just fallen through so I am now free to join this trip if it is still possible. Doing the Cuillin traverse has been on my wish list for some time! I am also keen on scrambling and trad climbing, including leading some easyish stuff (max S/VS as coming back from quite a long hiatus from trad climbing) and seconding some harder stuff. I donā€™t have my own rack but can bring a rope.

I may need to come back on 29th morning, or work remotely 29th/30th.

Thanks!
Tui

Hi Tui, hope you can join us. Same comments re ridge traverse. Iā€™ve done it in a day, and over two days and it is a great day out. Itā€™s not about grade, more about being able to concentrate for a long period. Have you been on the Cuillin before?

If you need to get back early then there are trains from Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland, if we are on Skye (I hope so)

Peter, if you come climb on Central Buttress you can canoe back down Esk Gorge to save your knees?