Scotland in early Feb 2019

Morning. Does anyone know if there is a drying cabinet/room at the place we’re staying?

No worries @katy_c - I know and climb with lots of instructors so happy to share! :slight_smile:

Btw we got out yesterday and did a fairly hard mixed route (V 6 which i was glad to be seconding the crux of as first route of the season!) but had to be really careful of slope aspect and loading due to avalanche risk, which made for a really long walk off - obviously it got dark and we had left the map in the sack at the bottom! So yup all points made valid, and I was very glad to be with someone more experienced than me :slight_smile:

However winter climbing is the most fun ever! :wink:

Liz

A friend and I will likely be there for the following weekend, but staying in the CC hut and I can only sign in one :frowning:

Yes there is. I attached a document back when we finalised which describes the facilities

I’ve confirmed with @Kiwidave that I’ll be coming along although I’m having some trouble getting away (tyres I need got delayed massively). I’m expecting to drive North on Saturday if things go okay or Tuesday if they go badly. @johnw1 I will definitely want to come back late. I can get accommodation in Glasgow for the two of us which will help a bit on the way back.

I will be bringing a complete rack with plenty of spare and - aiming to lead around grade IV. I will be happy to go and do a day or two around grade II with people who are less experienced. Will also bring along skis and skins and be happy to do a bit of touring and talking about terrain.

@DannyTompkins I wouldn’t take you up the grade IV. I wouldn’t take you up the grade II till I talked with someone else who had climbed with you a bit. I would take you out to a nice, safe avalanche risk free runout to play with an ice axe and I would point you to some nice low level walks. My advice is always to get out to the mountains and then do something which, after talking with the more experienced around you, you know is safe. Even if that’s just walking up less than 25 degree slopes by the ski slopes and then watching the climbers from the top of the corries. At the very least you will learn how to stay warm whilst sitting around which is probably one of the most important bits there is.

And Crag Jones will also join us for few days, heading up Friday night with me and leaving Wednesday morning by train.

1 Like

Hello Dave. Thanks for the info. I was asking as I have a dehumidifier that might come in handy. In the doc there is mention of a ‘clothes airer’, so presumably that’s their setup for drying wet clothing overnight.

Hey Mike, I was wondering if you were going to join winter adventures. Glad you’re on board :smile:

@Mattia definitely happy to join. Definitely bring the dehumidifier. I might bring some other stuff to help drying.

@katy_c / @Ladislav / @DannyTompkins - assuming I get my tyres friday, would one of you like to join heading north a bit earlier so there’s a little more space in the other car?

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the offer but I’ve got stuff on Saturday so Sunday works well for me. Thanks for offer on the climbs as well. I can chat with everyone when I’m up there and see what’s appropriate.

Looking forward to it.

D

Just in case people haven’t thought about it; don’t forget your head torches

And spare batteries!

And map, compass and OS Locate app on your phone.

Great to have you on board @mikedlr I’m up here already but spending weekend at glenmore to do… an avalanche course! Otherwise would have joined you. Shame i didnt bring split board but too much gear for public transport.

1 Like

Keen to climb following weekend though of course

And gloves!

@Kiwidave Hey :slight_smile: Do we need sleeping bags/pillows? Just getting everything together and trying to condense stuff down :slight_smile: have my towel etc already but just wanted to double check

Cheers!

@katy_c, you need a sleeping bag, don’t need a pillow.
PS, its very snowy up here

How’s it going folks? Are you getting stuff done? What are the conditions like. @george_margesson and I are driving up on Saturday if anyone is still around!

its shit, stay at home :grin:
lots being done, and currently discussing tomorrow’s venue. There’s lots of snow, so some digging needed for placements. There are good ice-fall type climbing at Lurchers, but ice is thin on the mixed routes. Turf is good. a bit warmer today and building rime. I think in summary, routes a ‘good value’ for the grades right now.
Some people are staying on in theory