Outdoor meets and coronavirus

@PaulSagar, heard my father had a similar injury to yours many years ago (1980s?); Really glad you are alive and recovering. I’ll send you a bit more in a private message.

It’s a bit of a long story but it was trad climbing. It never should have happened but the accident involved erm taking out three 100% bomber pieces out of an E4 I was accidentally on and then trying to traverse back to the E1 that I was supposed to be on and then aiding on a terrible cam for basically no reason, which popped and then I hit a ledge about 4-5m below because the rest of my gear (on the E1) was by then too far away to catch me in time (though it did catch me hence why I’m not dead).

Suffered a “pilon” compound fracture of the tib and fib and full dislocation of the ankle:

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/pilon-fractures-of-the-ankle/

Luckily I had surgery that night and am in a cast now so it wasn’t the worst version of this injury possible. I’ve got plates and screws in there now, and this injury is pretty well understood and assuming no further complications I should in time make a recovery to something like normal.

Anyway the moral of the story is: don’t take your good gear out; leave it behind if you have to; £50 for a new cam is better than an hour and a half waiting for mountain rescue to reach you and then 3-6 months learning to walk again.

2 Likes

Ah, the dreaded ‘lie pie’ as my mate from Wigan refers to such culinary abominations.

Anyway, all the best Paul.
I’ve just caught up on UKC as well as here and had seen your thread. I’ve nothing to offer regarding your physical injury, but would say following my own experience with a major climbing injury that trying not to beat your self up mentally will make a big difference. Much easier said than done, but focusing on physical rehab and not on internal arguments and recriminations will set you on the right road. This will probably seem blindingly obvious, but I was amazed at how often I found my mind wandering back to the fall…

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. Yes, just when you think you’ve come to terms with it…suddenly, a crisp mental image of the big perfect red cam slot that I looked at, considered using, and just went “nah, why don’t I pull on this total crap over here instead?”…

But yeah, definitely good advice to try and look forwards not back.

Derbyshire Mountain Rescue Facebook post featuring NLMC pinups, Paul and Jess. Donate button can be pressed.

6 Likes

Harpur Hill is now a nightmare - we ventured out one evening last week - not many climbs but hoards of partiers. Rubbish everywhere. When we drove through on the weekend parking was all cordoned off and police in force. I doubt they’d make an exception for climbers. I fear they will ban access completely after the mess that was left.

1 Like

@khalid made a donation, thanks for sharing the link.

2 Likes

@ypsell - I think all the outdoor beauty spots or accessible places are like that at the minute.

I went to High Beech near Epping Forrest super early on Sunday for a cycle and it looked like Glastonbury or a riot had happened there from all the rubbish/broken glass/gas cartridges. :cry:

It does make me sad that people do all this stuff, not exactly restoring my trust in the general public…

1 Like

| Mark_W NLMC Committee Member
4 June |

• | - |

@khalid made a donation, thanks for sharing the link.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| khalidqasrawi NLMC Member
4 June |

• | - |

Derbyshire Mountain Rescue Facebook post featuring NLMC pinups, Paul and Jess. Donate button can be pressed.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

yeah, I’ve slung a few quid their way. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I blame the parents!

Even when I cycled through high beech on a Tuesday night it was more Hacienda than quiet forest, I can imagine the mess on a Sunday morning!

1 Like

I saw this a few days ago on Facebook and I wasn’t sure if it was Paul or not but I donated then.
Paul, sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you and Jess are Recovering and doing well. I’m not surprised you get flashbacks. What an amazing set of rescue skills they put into action. It brings it into perspective.

What are the access rights on Harper Hill?

2 Likes

Oooh I didn’t know you could do that on Facebook … done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone heading out this weekend? Very keen to get on some rock!

Really good to see that mountain rescue is so much better than it was 30 years ago. But let’s not give give them any more to do. Remember, danger never takes a day off.

2 Likes

And the words of Edward Whymper after the Matterhorn disaster: “Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.” Happy climbing.

4 Likes

Cheers all.

I sent Derby MRT a sizeable donation this weekend because I felt it was the least I could do - I’m blown away that you guys have donated just out of good will. Thanks so much.

Richard, danger may never take a day off, but apparently my brain does! Thank the lord for MRT…

2 Likes

I think it’s partly about - it could have been our accident to any of us on any weekend away on any multi pitch. Definitely, tricky to route find, I’ve had so many hairy moments on limestone. I fell off my first lead climb on a multi pitch off route on the third pitch. Everything held but there was a ledge I stepped off.
Hats off to Mountain Rescue! They did a grand job.

2 Likes

Richard your poem is the exact reason I choose to never go skiing.