Outdoor meets and coronavirus

Went to Moss Rake quarry yesterday for steep slab climbing on limestone. Fingertips now totally raw after steep starts.

Perhaps @MattGee and @Sarah_Rae may change their minds once they remember the recent good weather will definitely end as soon as unrestricted climbing with overnight stays begins. :wink:

Ahead of any final decisions, Matt also might also have one last look at the inspirational Chamonix route photos in his Rockfax guidebook, and the numbers of in-condition Aiguille Rouges rock options, before committing to the grey Atlantic south-westerly rain clouds of the damp UK climbs

Without doubt.

Would have liked to sample Masson Lees but it would now appear to be the most popular crag in Britain so spent yesterday at Stanage North instead, I have very much missed the olā€™ grit rash!

@willboxall @tomhardie doubtless we are in for the wettest August on record which might change my mind, you never knowā€¦!

1 Like

Sport climbing is easier to manage in terms of distancing, not touching other peopleā€™s gear etc. so I suppose it will be more popular now. Not been to Masson Lees but it looks good. Harper Hill has some very good routes too.

my legs and elbows are now back to how theyā€™re supposed to be - bruised and grazed :smile: :heart:

2 Likes

I was looking at Harpur Hill but the BMC are advising climbers to treat Harpur Hill with caution and possibly climb elsewhere as there have been access issues and problems with the locals, mostly not caused by climbers mind! Dorsetā€™s been swamped.
We were toproping yesterday for safety and climbing mileage, Stanage North parking was not quite full by 12, Plantation still had plenty of room too.

I decided I was getting a bit too good and it would be awkward when I started sending all Tom Randallā€™s and Adam Ondraā€™s projects so i did the decent thing and smashed my ankle to pieces in the Peak last week to give them all a chance.

I probably wonā€™t be climbing real rock for quite a while now, but I would still like to visit rural pubs and complain about pies that are not real pies. As I canā€™t update my own logbooks Iā€™d be happy to do everyone elseā€™s whilst they order drinks. Also I can sit at the bottom of the crag and shout up encouragement/mockery as takes my fancy.

1 Like

We can wheel you to the crag like the NLMCā€™s own Dr Strangelove

1 Like

You may not have noticed but the pubs are not open.

1 Like

Smashed ankle = canā€™t drive = you can shout drunken abuse at me as I fail to send an easy VS. Sounds good to me. If I manage to get out Paul I will definitely offer your a seat in the car. I could do with a bit of ā€œthereā€™s a bloody jug to your left you fat bastardā€ encouragement

2 Likes

Smashed ankle = still good for belaying? Well played Paul! You were asking earlier in the year about Presidentā€™s Awardsā€¦

2 Likes

My sympathy Paul, whatā€™s the prognosis for recovery?

Richard, I had actually forgotten thatā€¦I guess youā€™ll just have to cook the pies for me! Please make sure they are fully encased in pastry the whole way around and are not just some casserole with a flakey lid on top.

1 Like

@Peter I havenā€™t had a full run-down since surgery last week, as I need to speak to the consultants in London, but I should be walking again without assistance in 3-6 months based on the nature of the injury, past experience of similar accidents, and assuming no further complications. Not ideal, but 2020 was rubbish anyway.

@khalidqasrawi as soon as Iā€™m out of the cast and into the boot, I donā€™t see why not! Better than sitting around getting fat.

Heā€™ll be getting fat with the pies.

1 Like

I wish you a speedy recovery @PaulSagar, perhaps you could train your upper body whilst resting your foot and become super strong and that way you could as many pies as you like! What surgery did you have, ankle reconstruction?

1 Like

What happened Paul? Bouldering? I remember Neil Foster jumping of a problem when just two feet off the ground. He shattered his ankle. Hope yours will be ok.

@PaulSagar. sorry to hear that mateā€¦smashedā€¦sounds serious. Hope you heal ok.