North Wales this weekend - 15th 16th June

I’d like to get up to North Wales this weekend and get some prep in for the Bregaglia trip, contingent on the weather forecast improving a bit. Anyone interested, or just in need of a lift from London?

Max

I’m interested- would work well for me,

Will

Nice one Will. Hoping on the weather. Are you coming to Bregaglia, or just up for some mountain days?

Not going on the Bregaglia trip (would be great…), but time on mountain routes would still be great,

Will

Some useful suggestions:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/snowdonia_long_mountainn_days_and_link_ups-590459

I’m looking at going up either this weekend or next for longer routes, but would be going from Stroud, not London. Forecast is looking less likely for this weekend at the moment. I’d also be up for Lakes as an alternative.

@chizharward I still have your t-shirt! Was planning to give it to you in Scotland but I’ll take it up to the hut next weekend if the weather is behaving itself.

1 Like

If it’s ideas for link-ups you are after, this one is good:

1 Like

Cool. I’m currently planning on Idwal Slabs, Continuation Wall, Holly Tree Wall and then on to Glyder Fawr for a big (but escapable) day involving about 9 pitches.

Another day maybe just Glyder Fach and do eg two of the MP routes there.

The last time I tried that outing I got frustrated at being stuck behind slow parties on the Idwal slabs and had to sack it off. Be prepared to start early and/or be flexible in your choices.

Weekend forecast is annoyingly borderline… the worst of the rain should pass on Friday, but Showers and strong winds forecast for Saturday. Lakes even worse (as usual).

1 Like

Windy and showers - good alps adversity training!

1 Like

Even better if there’s a thunderstorm. The sort of thing that gallops up you very suddenly in the Bregaglia. I was halfway up a route when the sky turned black and within 15 minutes we were being assailed by wind, rain and lightning. Very character enlarging.

1 Like

Max, the trick is to solo the Diff and just climb past people, surely?

It’s the top bit, Holly tree or Continuation wall, that the bottleneck was and the parties were incredibly, incredibly slow. it was an all round numpty day. Someone decked off Tennis Shoe into a bog and miraculously limped away leaving two footprints like post-holes, and we were liberally showered with loose wires by the team above. Don’t think I’ve ever tried to go back to the slabs since.

1 Like

Or do https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=176838, skipping the first pitch if you don’t fancy the disproportionally hard start. Not a mountain day, but more sheltered and completely escapable.

Similar to the discussion on the Yorks meet thread, I’m going to concede defeat on this weekend’s plans. Will see if I can make the next one.

1 Like

Nifty edit of the title and here we go again.

Who is heading up the 15th/16th? So far Guy, Catrin, Paul and Jess were up for this. Are you guys all partnered up, and does anyone want a lift?

I have the day off so can go anytime Friday.

Max

I was also up for going, no partner sorted

Me and Jess are going Friday lunchtime, heading for Llanymynech Quarry, then on to the hut. Saturday will be dictated by weather in Tremadog/Holyhead Mountain by the look of things. A big link up in the mountains may be back on the cards on Sunday. We’ll head back later on Monday.

I am up for it, also no partner sorted - and if anyone needs lift from west London Fri after work