New Members Meet 16-17th April

Ps for those who don’t know me. Specs b+W flowery shorts red t and load vocals :wink:

Hi all, just to add to what Martin said and to answer a couple of questions people have asked I thought it might be helpful to let people who are completely new to the group and perhaps haven’t climbed outside before know what to expect from the weekend (and what to bring!) - and also what NOT to expect!

Firstly the whole thing is very informal and it’s important to be clear (as has been mentioned a few times but worth saying again) there is no formal teaching, coaching or training as part of the weekend, we’re a club of people who want to climb together and share knowledge with each other informally - and we all do so at our own risk (is that last bit correct @bullopolis?!) so it is really important that those coming on the weekend have done at least some indoor top-roping and can belay and tie in safely without supervision, even if you’ve not been outside before. If you’ve not climbed outdoors that’s ok as long as you have those basics!

In terms of what to bring, as Martin has said everyone will need to have their own shoes, harness, belay device and climbing helmet, and sleeping bag. If people are missing one of the above items you might be able to find someone who can lend you it but it is your responsibility to sort this before the trip.

NB If you are buying stuff before you come then consider joining the club first as your BMC membership which is included in your club membership gets you discounts in most climbing shops!

Sleeping arrangements at the cottage are …cosy to say the least! There are sleeping platforms rather than individual beds and as far as I understand everyone just budges up to make room until we’re all wedged in like sardines… So think very rustic rather than 5* bnb!

Bearing in mind we 'll be spending our days outside and it can get pretty cold you will also find it useful to bring: walking boots or other decent footwear for the walk in to the climbs ( I think I went on my first trip in trainers and got very wet feet as a result!), a rain coat and some kind of warm jacket, a rucksack to carry your lunch and everything else in and a head torch. (Members I know you think this is stating the obvious but you should have seen how under prepared I was on my first trip!)

There is a kitchen at the cottage and my suggestion (not obligatory!) is that we all cook a big breakfast together in the morning - I am happy to cook as long as everyone brings a few ingredients! If everyone brings one or two things to share we should have plenty, eg I’m going to bring a packet of bacon and some eggs to share and hope other people might bring eggs/bacon/bread/beans/mushrooms what ever people want to eat :slight_smile: obviously if people just want to do their own thing that is fine too (if super boring!)

In terms of travel as you’ve hopefully gathered by now the idea is we all just buddy up with drivers leaving nearest from us and/or at tiles most convenient - if you’re not driving then do give a shout out to the other drivers on here that look like the nearest to you letting us know when you are able to leave and where you’re based and then everyone can individually agree who to travel with and the best place to meet.

Secondly, although there IS a charge for membership there is no charge for the weekend other than sharing petrol costs with your driver and then sorting out your own food/drink costs for the weekend. (If you join as members then use of the cottage is included in your membership, but I think there is a all nominal charge for non-members - Martin @bullopolis can confirm details!)

I think that hopefully covers everything, do ask if people have more questions. Looking forward to seeing people at mile end on weds and then at the cottage!

Holly

Re cars- it looks like in theory we have plenty, but I appreciate most people can’t leave before 5 pm!

I can drive my car from north east London (Clapton e5) if people need lifts - ideally I’d like to leave by 4 at latest.

Another option is I could give 1-2 people lifts as far as Watford then we could all jump in with @ChrisColebrook (in a much more comfortable car?!) Chris how do you feel about that :slight_smile:

@new people - give me a shout if anyone able to/wants to leave before 4, or failing that can get to North London for as close to 5pm as possible.

@Max_Adamson I hadn’t realised we were on opposite sides of London, it seems like it might be tricky for you to come in my car unless you don’t mind trekking across London with your stuff - You might prefer to drive your own car and I can meet out somewhere along the way if my/your car isn’t needed for more lifts? But let’s keep talking if no-one else wants to leave during the day !

Another thing to bear in mind if you are new to outdoor climbing. You might be cranking 7a on the wall but this will not translate to E4. Choose climbs well within your grade.
Richard

-------- Original message --------
Date:12/04/2016 9:56 AM (GMT+00:00)
To: rhaszko@gmail.com
Subject: [NLMC Chat] [Trips & Meets] New Members Meet 16-17th April
hollymoy1 NLMC Member April 12 Hi all, just to add to what Martin said and to answer a couple of questions people have asked I thought it might be helpful to let people who are completely new to the group and perhaps haven't climbed outside before know what to expect from the weekend (and what to bring!) - and also what NOT to expect!

Firstly the whole thing is very informal and it’s important to be clear (as has been mentioned a few times but worth saying again) there is no formal teaching, coaching or training as part of the weekend, we’re a club of people who want to climb together and share knowledge with each other informally - and we all do so at our own risk (is that last bit correct @bullopolis?!) so it is really important that those coming on the weekend have done at least some indoor top-roping and can belay and tie in safely without supervision, even if you’ve not been outside before. If you’ve not climbed outdoors that’s ok as long as you have those basics!

In terms of what to bring, as Martin has said everyone will need to have their own shoes, harness, belay device and climbing helmet, and sleeping bag. If people are missing one of the above items you might be able to find someone who can lend you it but it is your responsibility to sort this before the trip.

NB If you are buying stuff before you come then consider joining the club first as your BMC membership which is included in your club membership gets you discounts in most climbing shops!

Sleeping arrangements at the cottage are …cosy to say the least! There are sleeping platforms rather than individual beds and as far as I understand everyone just budges up to make room until we’re all wedged in like sardines… So think very rustic rather than 5* bnb!

Bearing in mind we 'll be spending our days outside and it can get pretty cold you will also find it useful to bring: walking boots or other decent footwear for the walk in to the climbs ( I think I went on my first trip in trainers and got very wet feet as a result!), a rain coat and some kind of warm jacket, a rucksack to carry your lunch and everything else in and a head torch. (Members I know you think this is stating the obvious but you should have seen how under prepared I was on my first trip!)

There is a kitchen at the cottage and my suggestion (not obligatory!) is that we all cook a big breakfast together in the morning - I am happy to cook as long as everyone brings a few ingredients! If everyone brings one or two things to share we should have plenty, eg I’m going to bring a packet of bacon and some eggs to share and hope other people might bring eggs/bacon/bread/beans/mushrooms what ever people want to eat obviously if people just want to do their own thing that is fine too (if super boring!)

In terms of travel as you’ve hopefully gathered by now the idea is we all just buddy up with drivers leaving nearest from us and/or at tiles most convenient - if you’re not driving then do give a shout out to the other drivers on here that look like the nearest to you letting us know when you are able to leave and where you’re based and then everyone can individually agree who to travel with and the best place to meet.

Secondly, although there IS a charge for membership there is no charge for the weekend other than sharing petrol costs with your driver and then sorting out your own food/drink costs for the weekend. (If you join as members then use of the cottage is included in your membership, but I think there is a all nominal charge for non-members - Martin @bullopolis can confirm details!)

I think that hopefully covers everything, do ask if people have more questions. Looking forward to seeing people at mile end on weds and then at the cottage!

Holly

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

As it says on the flyer. 6 quid a night for cottage if not a member. A massive 12 quid in hard cash :grinning:.
Thanks Richard.
It’s a mountain environment so climb safe!

which flyer would that be?!

Check out post 33. PDF attached. Soz wasn’t more snazzy

Tom, Bewick, Dylan, Yuhei, Raul, Izzy, villus…are you all sorted with lifts? Raul is I think coming with Will and I. Everyone else?

Hi. Yes I’m going with David.

I’m still hunting for a lift if anyone is offering?

I’m working in central London and would be free to leave from about 6pm onward if anyone else is heading off then?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere good in London to pick up harnesses, helmets or shoes at a good price?

Hi all
I’ve yet to arrange a lift. Whats the space scenario in cars leaving on Friday?

I am currently in the grip of a dissertation, deadline on tuesday and a consequent presentation so not sure if I’m going to make it this weekend :sweat:
As my situation is precarious, anyone else should take any available car spaces ahead of me, though it would be grand if there was an available space from Mile End area so that I can jump in last minute…

Back to the grindstone

Bewick

I liked the maps Martin (and have plagiarised it for my own use accordingly).

I’m getting a lift with David as well (or some combination of Enfield’ites).

same as mortim91 here. I am working in central London till 6-7 (living in Mill Hill/ Finchley if later). Is anyone leaving after this time from London or Saturday? For meals, do we have any supermarket nearby the cottage or should we get ingredients beforehand? I am hoping to visit mile-end tomorrow to join the discussion!

Best take all your own food. There is a small supermarket in Betws but it’s
the opposite direction to all the climbing. There is a smaller shop at
Capel but very limited. Meanest supermarket is in Bethesda, rather out of
the way.

Richard, i don’t know if that was a typo, but funny either way!

My plans are confirmed as leaving lunchtime Friday. I’m giving Holly a lift and can easily fit anyone else in who can go early.

Holly and I can shop for the communal meal, whether that’s breakfast or dinner. Probably easier than asking everyone to bring something, and If we ask the Treasurer nicely, who knows, it may even be funded :wink:

@hollymoy1 shall we agree on a plan? Then we can let everyone know for certain whether they need to bring anything beyond the usual for personal consumption.

Finally, if anyone is short of gear - let us know here. I can bring a spare helmet, belay device if needed.

Hello -
Unfortunately, I cannot come to the new members meet this weekend… (although I was really looking forward to it).
It turns out that I have to move by the end of this month, and I will need the next two weekends to sort out packing etc…
Hope that there will be an opportunity for another one of these trips soon ?!?!
:confused:
Izzy

Hi all,

Great, thanks for the lift Max - yes I’m happy to leave whatever time you
like, and if everyone is on board for the communal breakfast then we can
get provisions on the way (especially if we can claim it back from the
club?! Otherwise we can just ask people for contributions).

Are there any vegetarians? Happy to knock up some egg and bacon sandwiches
for a communal breakfast (or a full English if anyone thinks they’ll eat
that much!) but if anyone has any special dietary requirements let us know!
Or if you want to opt out of a communal breakfast (bah humbug) then just
let us know so we know how many we’re catering for…

I think Martin suggested we all go to the pub for dinner on Saturday night
which sounds like the simplest plan, although for Friday night as we’ll be
getting there at a reasonable time I’m happy to cook something together
(and maybe leave leftovers for anyone getting there who wants a bit of
food?!) maybe something pasta-based to keep it simple?!

@Bewick if you’re able to leave earlier in the day you can get a lift with
Max and I - we could both meet Max in the same place near here to save Max
too many stops?

Sounds like Yuhei and Tom M (and possibly Bewick) are also still looking
for lifts - those of you leaving after 6, anyone got any room?

H x

It was a typo (predictive text!) but possibly true.

Agree, pub a good shout for Sat night.

Let’s confirm that you and I will get stuff for one of the breakfasts. Reminder to others; still lunches and 1 brekkie to provision. Best to check with your driver if they plan to stop for shopping or whether you’ll have to plan ahead.

Pub sounds good! We probably need a reservation given the numbers though.