Mid Wales/ Southern Snowdonia meet

Here is a chance to visit some of the quieter bits of Snowdonia that are a long way from the cottage. And possibly explore some of the more esoteric and rarely frequented nooks and crannies of mid Wales.

My parents are kindly letting the club use their farm in Carno, Montgomeryshire for this meet.

Accommodation
Camping in the garden

There may be room in the house too. It depends on numbers. I can put up a big tent or bring your own tents.

When
9 - 10th August

Getting there
It’s about 4 hours d drive from London. You can also get there by train to Caersws from Euston or Marylebone using the chiltern line (cheaper). I can pick you up from Caersws but obviously we still need enough cars to get to the crag.

Dinner
Depending on numbers I can prepare something for Saturday night.

Climbing
The main attraction is the mountain routes on Cadair idris and on the Arans with single pitch cragging in Radnorshire or even sea cliffs on the Ceredigion coast if you really want the obscure stuff.

Cadair idris
45 mins from Carno. The classic route on cadair is cyfwry arete via the table top VD but there are a few other multi pitches around the VS range and then some much harder stuff. If it’s been really dry, Pencoed pillar HVD/S is possible. A great adventure but be prepared for an unprotected traverse on near vertical vegetation.

Dinas mawddwy
30 mins
Nice multi pitch routes in a great location. Roman and I had the place to ourselves last time I was there. Many routes need cleaning but the main ones are okay.

Will o’ the wisp HVD, craig cywarch

Rhinogs
1hr 15
Remote gritstone crags. Bit of a walk in.

Llanymynech
Bolted limestone quarry on the way back to London. Mainly 6a and up

Upper Wye
Roadside crags

Elan Valley
Single pitch crags. Nice place. Haven’t tried climbing here.

Ceredigion coast
I haven’t climbed there. Bit more of a drive but the central Wales book makes it sound quite interesting

Sounds fun! Will there be a sign up sheet soon?

Yes there will

:sweat_smile: thanks Matt!

1 Like

In France that weekend alas but very keen to hear back about the crags!

1 Like

I’ve got this book for those who want to explore the more niche stuff.

2 Likes

Dale and I are tentative - I land back from Canada on the 9th and Dale working late but planning to come Sat morning and will have a camper, assuming somewhere to park it relatively flat?

Hi Yvonne. Yes plenty of space to park

1 Like

Hi John and all!
I’m new to the UK and have been put in touch with this page by another member. I’ve tentatively put my details down for this meet. I’m an experienced climber (mainly sport, but have done a decent number of trad trips over the years). Comfortable with gear etc, but I don’t have ropes or a rack. I’d love to get in touch with this community and have some exposure to outdoor climbing in the UK.

1 Like

I can vouch for Nicky. Super strong. She will be a great addition to the club :slight_smile:

Good that she’s strong on supper. What’s her breakfast and lunch like?

@Haszko Distinctly subpar

Don’t know… (too many jokes)

Hi Nicky,

Are you able to meet some of us at the Castle or another London wall in between now and the Meet?

Cheers
Matt

Also we are looking a bit short of drivers at the moment for this one. London to Caersws is 3.5-4 hours by train and appears to be quite expensive on a Friday evening (although I haven’t looked very hard).

ahh, that could be a trouble :confused:

Is it 9-10 Aug? the weekend is 10-11
I think renting a car could be an option.

Did my first climbs there, or Craig Cowarch in 1966.

2 Likes

Do the mountain routes on Cadair idris typically require half ropes or can a long single be enough?

Looking at the logbook and route descriptions for Cyfrwy and variations I’d maybe consider halves? Lots of loose rock (one team reported having their rope cut by rockfall!) and some pitches over 30m.

1 Like