Bregaglia Meet 6-14 July 2019

We might well be coming too.

Ok cool - well if anyone hasn’t decided by the time I confirm I’m sure it won’t be a problem to add additional tents.

We will be quite a crew by the looks of things!

I’d love to come, but as ever work etc etc

Hi everyone,

Bit of an update on the access issues I mentioned in the original post.

Sasc Fura hut looks like it will reopen in July. They’ve built a new path which avoids going under the Cengalo where all the rockfall happened. That hut gives access to the Badile which has the classic North Ridge (D) then the long harder stuff on its north face (Cassin etc).

Sadly it looks like the Sciora Hutte is going to stay closed. That where the majority of the more amenable climbing is in the big mountains. You can get to some of the routes from the Albigna hut I think but the approach looks appalling.

So that leaves the Abligna and the Badile and the two options. The Albigna is not really full alps - you get a cable car up and then there’s a massive dam to look at, but there is tons of great mountain cragging there and if you’re prepared to walk a bit then there is some more alpine feeling stuff.

Anyway - welcome views - there is always the option of going to Switzerland as I previously raised!

Guy

I should add, you can probably approach the sciora range from the Sasc Fura hut, but that would involve walking under the Piz Cengalo, which might fall on your head.

I’m going to try and ring the guardians at the Sasc Fura to see if I can get any info out of them.

Guy

1 Like

I thought the plan was to camp in the Italian side?

So the campsite is in Italy but it’s on the Swiss side of the range (confusing) - few minutes west of Bondo.

It’s called Acquafraggia.

Very confusing.

Hey everyone! Sorry I couldn’t bring myself to reading the entire thread, but I’d be potentially up for joining this trip. I’ve no idea where I’ll be in July (or next week for that matter) so why not Alps. I’d need to work for a couple of hours per day but otherwise free to explore the mountains (i.e. single/multipitch rock climbing). Any takers for alpine starts, coming back before 6pm?

Reading up on Bregaglia, I might join this, Piz Badile sounds awesome! My only problem is holidays, so I am considering a couple days around one of the weekends.

I am thinking of flying in on the 5th, to get a full day of climbing on the 6th and then staying until 10th or so. It seems there’s public transport links back to Milan (although a bit longer than car).

Is anyone up for ariving Friday (and sharing a car) and starting to climb on Saturday, or is everyone flying in on Saturday?

Hi everyone,

Thought it would be good to meet up before the trip to talk through logistics, which guidebooks to get what the area is like etc, which bits of it are open etc. Lots to discuss and would be good to see everyone.

Suggest we meet up week after next at either the Brownswood or the Palm Tree. Please express your preference for which here:

https://doodle.com/poll/wehz2ntkm8zihkmk

Another plug for people to put their name on the googlesheet here please so I can tell the campsite final numbers!

Thanks,

Guy

2 Likes

I’ll try to come for the pre-trip meet as I’ll hopefully be in London that week. I’d like to extend the trip on either/both sides of the suggested dates if anyone else is keen. @khalidqasrawi, @Tom_Blake, @PaulSagar you seem to have expressed interest in extension?

I’m heading off to the Dolomites with Jess (who you haven’t met yet, Tutu) the week after sorry.

Are we meeting tomorrow to chat through the trip stuff? I can’t see results of the doodly

@HollyP, it’s next week (10th/12th), not this week.

1 Like

Yeah sorry - will be the next week as Peter says. Will let you know when I’ve rallied the results

I will be in the Alps and will do my best to join in for a few days with Anton. We’ll be there once a good weather window opens up. I won’t put my name down for the campsite Google sheet - one campervan should be easy to fit in.

Weather permitting, we will be heading to the Dolomites afterwards!

I’ll now be arriving at some point on the Monday, as I have to fly back from Belfast on the Sunday morning, but will cross the Channel that night and then drive, drive, drive as far as I can manage that night, and complete the journey the next day.

I’ve signed up for the Poll, only 50/50 on making Monday, can’t do Weds, but happy to go along with whatever is decided.

PS - anyone up for doing some longer mountain routes this weekend? I need any prep I can get. Yes, yes, I know the Yorks. meet is on, but prepared to be a splitter as it doesn’t really do mountains.

Given the forecast, numbers and lack of lifts, Max, I am not sure the Yorkshire meet is still on (as an official meet anyway). To be discussed this evening, although the forecast looks pretty soggy everywhere this weekend sadly.