Trip on Mon 19 September - North Wales

Just one important thing we all need to remember:

The Peak District is named after the indigenous people of the area, the Peak. It is not named after pointy mountain tops, which you will notice are conspicuously absent from the region.

Therefore one goes to visit the Peak [District], not the Peaks [District].

Every time someone writes “we are going to the Peaks” it makes me flinch violently.

It is of course OK to say “We are going to the Lakes” because the Lake District is named after lakes, plural.

:slight_smile:

We will be going to Wale.

4 Likes

Even worse. Wales comes from the Saxon word ‘wealhas’, meaning ‘outside people’, so it’s basically an insult and I find this hilarious every time.
We should really say we are going to visit Cymru

Oh why don’t you take the Choo Choo up Yr Wddfa whilst you’re at it

1 Like

I think you’ll find they prefer to be called ‘trains’.

3 Likes

I think you guys do a great job hiding any useful information in this thread.
Also, if one considers they are going to see the peak people (the peaks) then it is all fine.

2 Likes

At the risk of sidetracking the discussion further, is there not only one lake in the lake District, the rest being merely a bunch of waters and meres…

1 Like

Sorry for the transgression, this will be a hard habit to break! I did always wonder why such a rolling hillside area had the “Peak” term!

Begs the question why we didn’t stick to the original tribal name “Pecsaetan” District… suppose it doesn’t quite roll off the tongue, sounds like it could be “Satan’s Pecs” when I say it out loud :smiley:

Hi all.

I’m driving up Friday evening if there is a bunkhouse plan, returning Sunday evening. Long and short, I’ll have a space for 1 from Greenwich / East London, possibly 2 if Adam comes in his own car. will post this on that whatsapp too.

Max

The Peak District is named after the indigenous people of the area, the Peak. It is not named after pointy mountain tops, which you will notice are conspicuously absent from the region.

So presumably you’d approve me me saying we are going to the Peak’s district?

I’ve often wondered if people who live in the Peak give a sh*t and this is one of those UKC echo-chamber things.

Oh, the French call it 'Bleau and not Font.

1 Like

Hi Max, might want to repost this on the new Peak District thread I started

Thanks Adam have PMd Matt

Couldn’t resist - now there are multiple versions of where the name came from but this guy (Gordon Stainforth) has actually written a book about the Peak district and on a UKC forum says this
"This was the answer I gave in that thread:

‘Pecsaetan’ means the (Anglo-Saxon) ‘Settlers of the Pec’, the Celtic name for the area we now call the Peak. And, contrary to what some pundits claim, Peak does mean ‘pointy/peaked’ and has exactly the same derivation as the word Pic in Europe (eg. the Pyrennees and France). Also a whole lot of other anglo-saxon and norse words have a similar origin eg. pick, peck, pike, spike, prick, beak. "

YOu can always buy the book and check out his sources… https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0094754209/qid=1098178537/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0003248-2445202

1 Like

derailed

1 Like

Actually Adam you mean “raises the question”. “Begs the question” is a technical term meaning “to assume as true what one in fact needs to prove”

And yes Max, if you’re saying Peak’s District that is fine. But please take a second to specify in a verbal context so I know not to be triggered.

YES I CAN DO THIS ALL DAY

NO I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO (other than grade MA dissertations until my eyes bleed)

2 Likes

1500 years of c. 20mm per year erosion is order of magnitude 30 metres - so they used to be more p…

I’ll get my coat

1 Like

North London Pedantry Club :green_heart:

1 Like

Is that a misplaced apostrophe in Peak’s District?

1 Like

Now it feels wrong to post here not holding a PhD in English

Just so that people know, not everyone switched to that curiously named area in Derbyshire, @DanGyi and I are going to Wales

@L_Pio thanks again for the lift! When are you leaving? Could you please PM some phone number for coordination?

1 Like

Do you mean Peaks’ District, Richard?