Peak District Meet - 20/21st April

Hi all, does anyone still have available space in the car? Also, I don’t have a tent so if we camp, I wii be grateful if anybody could help me with the space in the tent. Thanks all!

Hi Lucy, I messaged you in DM last week about possibly getting a lift with you. Just checking in to see if you still have space in your car? Should I make other arrangements?

Does anyone have room for 1 more person driving back to London Sunday night? North London/Walthamstow way.

Im going that direction so can give you a lift back on Sunday Yulia.

Hi Greg, please do check the camp site; I suspect there is plenty of space. I’ve never stated or been there before I’m afraid; the site itself appears to be just fields, but their website does say that the showers are at least hot and a photo of a toilet looks promising, but I don’t know how many there are of either.
On Friday, I should have some flexibility on departure time, from 5pm onwards, possibly earlier, but other than that whenever my passenger(s) are able to get to Oakwood.

My car comfortably accommodates 3 passengers and Greg is the first to enquire, so space for two more.
Polina, I do have a spare 2-person tent, which you could use if that helps; can you get to Oakwood Fri eve?

Peter

@Polina v sorry, I never saw your text! Check you’ve saved my number right for next time? I’m full I’m afraid, I definitely won’t get a third person in with tents too

Not able to make this one so have taken myself off the sheet.

It looks like we currently have at least 22 people who’ve answered yes to curry, and only 8 people have filled in the pre-order sheet. Can people please fill it in ASAP so I can send it to the curry house today. Thanks!

Here’s the link again: Menus – Sangams Balti Restaurant

Hmm this is where meet-specific Whatsapp groups would be handy - I’m guessing some people don’t come back to this thread once they’ve signed up! Worth contacting each driver maybe? They can relay the message en route.

1 Like

Suggest setting up a Whatsapp Community with sub groups for each official meet. We’ve just done this for Aylesbury Climbing Club and it works really well, not chatty/noisy at all.

Only paid up BMC/NLMC members in the community, opt in or opt out to be decided by comittee, I can’t remember how we agreed it - will find out - think it was opt in by contact to the organiser, rather than notifiying members they need to opt out.

The Random Meets group can remain for unofficial meets and no restriction on members (other than admin’s preference!).

People only see the notifications for subgroups they’ve subscribed to.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ve not heard of WhatsApp communities. I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

Yep, I’m going to do it at lunch time when I have a spare minute.

Happy it gets more traction

Thank you Ben, I filled it

Arguments against this by multiple people were also discussed in the thread Greg linked :slight_smile:

tldr: forums are superior, let’s keep stuff in forums. For instance, no way we’d be able to easily link to such past discussion if it was on whatsapp!

1 Like

But people who use the forum are the most likely to post on it. The opposite is therefore also true. For the purposes of meets such as this where everyone is spread out in different accommodations, it puts a huge amount of work on Ben’s plate to have to manage things. A specific WhatsApp thread would ease these issues. It doesn’t take anything away from the forum. I genuinely don’t understand the resistance to the idea.

2 Likes

I’ve had a similar whatsapp discussion, and find WhatsApp communities work well for the Alpine Club and my swimming group. Will take to committee

1 Like

My opinion is that WA community is more convinient way to communicate

How on earth did we manage before the internet and mobiles.

The irony to this is that I can’t actually comment on that thread post. Anything that is General Chat, I can’t comment in.