No excuse not to go to Pembroke

Ha blimey!

@dizz_lizzie might have an opinion about its gradeā€¦

Holly, those routes named by Khalid are not in Range West therefore you wonā€™t need to attend a Range West briefing for them.
I am slightly puzzled by all the focus on Range West here :smiley:

1 Like

@Kenny_Straggler check post #10 earlier promoting the Range West Briefing meet 19-22 April. Iā€™ve never climbed in Range West. My thinking is that thereā€™s no point going to the briefing on my own because Iā€™m not into soloing. So, Iā€™m taking the whole club (at least the lead climbers, the boulderers might go somewhere else). Does that sound nebulous?

Thanks Khalid, sorry I somehow overlooked your post (#10)

No worries @Kenny_Straggler. It gave me a second opportunity to promote the Range West Briefing Meet, which is over the Easter weekend next year, 19-22 April, btw.

1 Like

Range West does give a sense of adventure and remoteness as well as a quieter experience, with fewer climbers, so I am looking forward to attending the Easter meet; the photo above is of Western Walls, where I climbed at Easter 2017.

Holly, i see that adjacent to Blue Sky, there is a second three star VS called Landvetter, which I also note I appear not to have climbed. These are both 54m routes, the consequence of which, they are only exposed within a short window at low tide and I guess that might mean that there is not enough time to climb them both on the same day.

Not sure Iā€™ll be on the April meet but keen to go in May/June.

@HollyP you could definitely lead Riders on the Storm (HVS 5a) no problem. A really good adventure.

Iā€™m really keen to go to Mother Careyā€™s Kitchen on the next trip. @guyarnold and myself will (if all goes to plan) be fresh back from Kalymnos and therefore pulling super hard.

1 Like

Western Walls

1 Like

Hmm might have to do ww III blues again now Iā€™ve learnt to jam - I know plenty of people who climb much harder than me and didnā€™t get that one first go!

If breaking into the grade , straight up, well protected HVS is better. Hercules, Frontline, Bludgeon, Tactician [even if wrongly given E1 5a]. The real beauty of Prembroke is that itā€™s quite easy to try harder stuff without getting too scared, and itā€™s a lot less stiffly graded than the lakes, Cornwall or the Peak.

1 Like

Tactician is well harder than Riders!

All my 3 HVSs thus far have been on grit. One of which - spicily - had a mere 3 pieces of gear.
Well protected ones at Pembroke sound good to me!

Army dreamers is a good one. Those are all hard Max! I thought Tactician fair E1 ā€¦ you are just too good at climbing :wink: , plus if you get riders on the storm wrong you will get in the sea ā€¦ lots of good well protected hvs in n Wales too ā€¦ i do Merlin direct nearly every year as just so good, striptease at VS 5a, shadrach is probs hvs really, scratch arete and the fang and meshach are all good once done a few ā€¦ brant direct, wind (probs E1) ā€¦ lots to do :slight_smile:

If Iā€™m not mistaken Peter, this was where we did my first trad lead! :slight_smile:

Peter, was it not Landvetter that you got lost on trying to work out which groove you were supposed to finish up. IIRC you were climbing with Phoebe

I have to agree with Max, I donā€™t think Tactician is E1. Well not if youā€™re comfortable on your feet though thatā€™s true with most climbs. Similarly I donā€™t think Frontline is too bad, you can get some no handed rests on it

Frontline is a softie. Army dreamers is a bit unsettling, steep, then polished. There are easier at the grade.

Iā€™ve done blue sky and landvetter. I was never completely sure I was on the right line at any time on the top pitches. So you have my sympathies Peter :wink: