Newsletter Call for Content

@PaulSagar - Pinged you a message with a link to my Flickr pics of the wood working bits

1 Like

Paul I sent a couple of lockdown pics

1 Like

Yvonne and Dale could prob write a Full guide to
Finding esoteric crags in Staffordshire

1 Like

Yup thanks - hence my asking people to send me more! Good idea :slight_smile:

well… yes but we do we want to share???

1 Like

Decoy crags Yvonne decoy

You could have true or false? And people have to go to find out if it’s choss or sublime

great idea! I love the thought of just picking a random slightly rocky spot and people could hike in to discover there’s nothing there! (or is there…???).

1 Like

@ypsell - I you have the time or inclination, I would suggest an orienteering style challenge where one set of clues leads them onto another location from the last. Make them earn knowing where the best ones are! :wink:

1 Like

Middle of Greenland…best crag in the world!

Or…is it…? Hike in to find out!

1 Like

Breaking news : the Peggy day wall has been dismantled at Mile End!

@coffeepot - Is that the traversing one right by reception with the most polished pebbles in the world?

Yes. You need to go to a properly polished crag like Stoney, Freyr or the corridor at Finsbury Park for a true polish experience :-).

2 Likes

@dabarlow - The corridor? I am intrigued, didn’t know there were any urban climbing spots or stone walls in Finsbury Park.

There used to be a wall in the leisure centre that NLMC met at on Wednesdays

I can remember going to the sobell leisure centre traversing above corridor on real rocks cemented into the wall with no mats and the fibre glass wall about six metres high in the seventies and eighties. On parkland walk between finisbury park and Highgate at some old station or walling there was /is some old wall that was apparently used for traversing. I tried once but could not find many holds. Nice walk though if you have not done it as is the extension to ally pally.

I have also been through the tunnel to the above ground Highgate station that you can still see. I recently read that it’s protected now due to bat nesting.

For anyone who wants ultimate wall traverse the Henry Price halls of residence at Leeds university is still going although not been on it for twenty years. Leeds university had the original indoor wall built by Don Robinson in the early seventies. He died recently and the wall became a drama theatre where they recently did a play about Indian face and Jonny Dawes. I climbed at the original wall once there is now a new wall at the university plus three boulder walls and a large leading wall in Leeds .

Phazels wood near Hemel was an interesting wall/structure…

Dan , your northern correspondent.

2 Likes

Phasels wood is still there and unchanged since its creation. Even the bolts are still in their original and rather impractical positions.
The old wall at Chalfont Heights scout camp has just been demolished after 35 years. Its replacement is due to be constructed soon.

I remember the bolts being not related to climbing my best trip there was on a vfr Honda 750 with another club member who had to slow down on the slip road onto the m25 from 100mph to join the rather slower traffic and rather spirited riding back through Radlett area. He can identify himself if he wishes. He still rides and climbs. Dan

Right, last chance saloon for anything going in the newsletter!

If you haven’t emailed it to me by, erm, the end of next week…too late!

I’m intending to send you an article on my last weekend’s trip this week.