New Members Meet - April 13th-14th

Thanks @Rufus_Lawrence! I have updated the Driver’s tab with your details too.

@houston_n I have put you on the list for now as Hannah can’t make it. There might be some people around on Wednesday at the Castle to check your belay, if you are still keen!

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I’ve got some unforeseen personal matters to attend to this weekend now so will need to wait and join the next new members opportunity :frowning:

Best,
Roddy

No worries at all Roddy! You don’t need to wait until the September New Members meet. You are more than welcome to join the Peak District meet the 20-21 April or any other, as long as someone check your belay before hand!
See you around!

1 Like

@FrenchMatt That’s great there’s space, I’m still keen to come!

I’m not currently in London atm and will only be free to head to The Castle on Thursday evening is the only thing.

Hi folks, can I leave my 40m gym rope at home or do I need to bring it? I have all the other equipment listed above. Thanks

I’d wait and see what the forecast is doing as it’s a bit uncertain right now. If it’s really bad we might go to the Beacon Climbing Wall, but I don’t think it’s that bad and we are probably covered for climbing ropes for outdoor trad.

Ah ok, yeah just seen, looks quite windy! Ok cool, thanks for confirming about the rope too.

I have one more space in my car if anyone needs it!

Leaving NW London on Friday eve

Just wondering how much food to bring? Is the idea that breakfast and dinners are sorted but we need to bring lunches, crag snacks etc? Are there shops nearby?

Yes, breakfasts and diner on Saturday will be provided.
Anything else is for you to bring. I am not aware of any shop nearby, a lot of us usually shop before hand or in a Waitrose at a petrol station stop on the way!

Good morning! sorry have been lurking on this for ages, but have only just messaged. If there is still availability, I would love to join you guys this weekend. I have been climbing for 7-8 years, predominantly sport and bouldering. For the past 2-3 years, it’s just been bouldering so I will refresh my knowledge on anchor building etc. And more recently, I’m just recovering from an injury so not looking to climb to hard, but just want to get outside. I have my own harness, carabiners, prusik, some cords etc, and a crashpad. If there’s space, would love to join and can drive out from E3 on Friday, so will have space for 3-4 others.

1 Like

and I can meet up with a member at either mile end or the castle at any point tomorrow to get checked! No problem if not, I know this is very last minute :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @harnarday, I’m afraid at the moment the meet is full, but put yourself down on the spreadsheet (first post in this chat) on the waiting list, and it anyone drops out we can let you know.

However, we would need to check belaying beforehand, so it might be a bit of a squeeze to get that in.

If you can’t join us on this meet, do still come along to the Castle on a Monday, or see if anyone can do another evening. Would be great to meet you! :blush:

Think if Rich is sleeping in the van there may be an extra space? @harnarday is the bestest.
Lau

1 Like

Carlos has just informed me that unfortunately he couldn’t join this weekend. So one free space for you @harnarday. So I suggest you and @houston_n get in touch with @robertpirouet who will be at the castle tomorrow evening ( I was told he will be in a white north face t-shirt)

1 Like

@FrenchMatt Apologies but I can no longer make it at the weekend as my journey back down to London has been postponed.

I’ll get down to the Castle for Monday’s meetup though and hope to join on another trip soon.

I’ll be sleeping in my van….

Hi All,

It looks like I’ll be driving there by myself since I am not coming from London on Friday. I expect to get there between 20h30 and 21h30.

This is my first time to the hut, is there anything that I should be aware of, like not parking in a particular spot?

On the way back, I’ll be driving back to London though if anyone needs a lift.

Weather looks ok for climbing - Holyhead looks like it will stay dry until mid afternoon :-).

Hi Paul, use the National Park car park at Bryn Glo, signposted on the right as you come into Capel Curig. If you pass the Tyn y Coed pub on the right, you’ve missed it. Generally we try to avoid parking on the far right hand side of the car park as the Bryn Glo people have caused a few issues in the past.

Regarding the forecast, the BBC is more optimistic than the Met Office, but it will still be pretty windy and Holyhead is totally exposed to a prevailing south westerly, so expect to get battered if you do climb there!

I will be bringing scrambling boots, but if people don’t fancy the great outdoors on Saturday, there are climbing walls at Plas Y Brenin (small) and the Beacon in Caernarvon (big).

1 Like

Awesome.

I just realise i forgot to put my helmet in my car and I wont be able to go home before going to north wales. If anyone has a spare then Id be super grateful if i could borrow it.

Sorry… a bit cheeky since i dont really know you all yet :upside_down_face: