Lake District Meet - 24th - 27th May

Hi all

Some changes to Rich’s post to put google doc at the top…

LAKE DISTRICT MEET

WHEN : 24-27th May

WHERE: Eskdale

CLIMBING: Lovely mix of climbing, including good bouldering options and multi pitch trad

ACCOMMODATION: tbc… see posts below

WHERE CAN I SIGN UP?! Lake District Meet - Google Sheets

Some way off but anyone interested in some scrambling/climbing on Skye? Best most grippy rock in the world and the best ridge in the Uk. I was thinking about adding it onto the end of the Lake District meet as halfway there distance wise. Would be weekday (3-4days?)though

1 Like

Yes, just waiting on all clear but fingers crossed will be heading up end May for about ten days in the van, part with partner and dog, part for climbing. Haven’t been up for a couple of years but usually have a Scotland trip that time each year, stopping at Lakes on way up/down and following weather, always get to Skye for a few days. More after long low-grade days than cragging. Would like to do the ridge again. It is usually in the club diary as a nomadic Scotland meet/roadtrip

Might be me

I am interested.

Hi - I’d be interested in some scrambling/ridge stuff, yes.

Also interested!

might be me too

I’ll start a WhatsApp group for the skye extension. If interested could you send me your phone member directly please

Rich

Hallo Richard, why can’t we just have this on the forum, where its accessible to all the club, and anyone who wants to join later?

Morning Chiz, I don’t know why tbh. Happy for it to go there if allowed, it’s wanted and someone can do it? I have zero technical skills for that. Forming a WhatsApp group is my limit :smiley:

OK, I can do that this evening when back from work, hoping to get dates confirmed this weekend
Cheers

Thank you Chiz. My preferred dates would be the week before or after the Lakes May meet, ie 20-23 or 27-30 May ish. These are midweek dates.

Hi All,

I am sorting out accommodation for the Lake District meet from 24 - 27th May.

Currently looking at Eskdale. It is a slightly quieter valley than elsewhere in the Lakes, but I have been assured that the climbing is plentiful and varied. The valley itself is also stunning, very green and lush, (probably due to all that rain) It is just to the southwest of Scafell and accessed via the infamous Hardknot pass (other access is available). 6 hour drive from C London.

Myself and Rich have reviewed other options, including Langdale, however accommodation was proving problematic.

In Eskdale there are currently two options for accommodation:

1. Dalegarth Campsite 24th / 25th / 26th

Dalegarth Campsite can accommodate our entire group at between £20 - £30 per pitch per night, depending on the size of tent. Campervans can stay and priced at the same as a 2 person tent. There is no electrical hook up.

1. Boot Bunkhouse 24th / 25th and change to Dalegarth Campsite 26th

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1072503968905656342?source_impression_id=p3_1713289339_69DLpxr%2BsHorNgnr&guests=1&adults=1

Boot bunkhouse looks like a really great option in case it rains, that said, they can only accommodate us for 2 out of the 3 nights (24th and 25th) we would then have to move to the campsite for the night of the 26th. They have offered a £200 reduction across the two nights because they cannot accommodate us the entire time… but we would have the inconvenience of moving at some point. The bunkhouse sleeps 20 and is 250 per night (at reduced rate) if we fill it, it would be £12.50 each per night.

I am tempted to opt for Option 2. The Lakes are a dream, but when it rains it pours and a bunkhouse may be a really welcome shelter.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Option 2

1 Like

Option 3 Glen Brittle :wink:

Duddon is worth a look too, good camping barn under Wallowbarrow crag, pub good too

1 Like

The rain is a risk… Personally I’d lean towards option 1, mostly to avoid the trouble of uprooting. Also the nice campsite has some sort of food truck option for dinner and breakfast: the Herdy Hut. And would they still be able to find us a group area if we arrived for the Sunday?

I’d vote option 2.

A roof and walls for £10-20 cheaper than a square of grass sounds like a good deal.

1 Like

A buautiful camp site gets my vote.

It’s 50/50 whether I can make this but the climbing in Eskdale is fantastic - good mix of accessible valley crags (Hare Crag) and properly remote high mountain crags (Esk Buttress etc)

Let’s book the Fylde hut, it’s free for our dates

http://fyldemountaineeringclub.org/index.php/little-langdale/

2 Likes