Lake District Meet - 24th - 27th May

I’ve heard the rumours of the train crew, but don’t know who they are.

Are they planning to take the train all the way to Dalegarth? Or is someone collecting them from Ravenglass?

Hey Cole. I’m in Lucy’s car, but I might be able to get a train partway up the country and get a lift with a friend instead to free up a spot. I’ll give him a ring at lunchtime and see if I can work it out.

Are you on the group Whatsapp? There are three of us afaik in the train crew. We’re catching the 2.30 train from Euston to Ravenglass via Lancaster, and getting a taxi from Ravenglass. PM if you can’t join the WhatsApp or need more info. See what Ben says first though.

Hi All - Late to the party as was watching weather (kinda still am!) and possible other options. Sorry to be non-commital but it’s a long way to drive on my own if it’s raining most of the weekend, and I’ve done a lot of miles recent weeks.

@Sian - Is it too late for me to join? Do you think I could book myself in (campervan) and mention the club booking? If we’re getting our own area like you mentioned then space possibly not an issue, even if BH weekend. Also, late arrivals, any thoughts? As it’s a camper, I have some flexibility on arrival (e.g. laybay on Friday night, meet at campsite Sat morning).

@ColeS - If I do join, I’m in Buckinghamshire - If you can get train to Tring (Euston line) or Wendover (Marylebone line) on Friday afternoon I could pick you up and drive us up.

Only thing is time. I can leave around 4pm, could possibly make the campsite at a sensible hour (9 to 10pm). Otherwise, if later, and if you don’t mind sleeping in the campervan pop top on your sleeping mat, then we could crash at a quiet layby nearby to avoid disturbing the campsite late Friday night.

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Not too late to join at all - can you just update the spreadsheet so that I know what’s what. Campsite are being very quite atm, but did previously say we had our own field, I have paid a deposit so presumably another few people is no issue.

With regard to late arrival, they do seem to have a 9pm cut off for vehicles, that said, a number of us will already be there by that point so we can update you on whether it is a strict policy.

To conclude… come! Also, make sure to check out my wet weather options. There is really no excuse.

1 Like

Hi All,

We have just had a committee meeting and have agreed to introduce a few bits of compulsory and non-compulsory (but highly recommended) protocol into the club meets system:

Compulsory: There are two new columns on the spreadsheet; the first column asks you to confirm that you are a club member and have had your member belay check, the second column asks you to confirm whether you have access to the WhatsApp community. Please update accordingly.

Non compulsory (but highly recommended): The club would like to actively encourage all members to put a card containing next-of-kin emergency contact details and details of any allergies / important medical information into one of the top pockets of the backpack you climb with. This hopefully needs to explanation. We think it’s really valuable to have a system in place that we are all familiar with should an accident happen. We will at some point formalise this as part of the membership process, i.e. provide you with a club card to print off, however in lieu of this and in anticipation of the upcoming meet a note in a sandwich bag to keep it dry out should suffice.

THANKS!

3 Likes

Amazing innovation regarding the emergency contact, that’s great! Can you maybe just email everyone with a request to fill this in some google form, so that at least it’s included in the database? The cards, if those are deemed necessary, can be designed and distributed later.

But can’t praise this enough :orange_heart:

We discussed forms, but it opens a whole world of data protection issues which the club don’t have the resources to deal with. Plus, people might not want to share their medical information on an open forum. We concluded this was the most straightforward approach.

Do we have a WA group for the meeting? How could I get into it?

Hi Polina,

Are you on the NLMC WA community chat? There is access to the Lakes meets chat there.

Thank you! I’ve updated the spready, taking a SWB VW Camper like Rich, so upped the count to “2” at the bottom left. I’m probably gonna bring food to save a bit, got BBQ in the van and a rain awning so not too fussed about pub/bookings.

The lift situation isn’t clear as it looks like people still looking for lifts. Anyone still stuck? I’d like to try and share fuel costs if possible. But, as I’m taking the camper, it means it needs to be my vehicle and passengers would need to get a train out of London to Wendover, Tring or Milton Keynes on Friday.

I’ll keep in touch ref late arrival and can easily crash nearby en-route Friday if needed.

See you all at the weekend!

Cheers Adam,

‘spready’ : )

Looks as though it is Lorenzo who is stuck atm. I’ll prod him in your direction on WA.

1 Like