Ice climbing trip and Scotland winter trip

By the way, conditions were amazing last week, especially Monday, blue skies and great quality of ice on Ben Nevis :slight_smile:

Not very helpful for those planning future trips, I know

Good to hear, we had a stonking weekend on the Ben, same time last year.

I’ve committed to an arranged trip with my other club, 3rd to 7th March but will keep following in case I can make another trip later in March.

Hoping there’s enough cover on top to melt and refreeze before we go!

Great to see so much enthusiasm for winter action.

I tend to head up to Scotland on the Caledonian Sleeper on Friday nights after work and then catch the Sleeper train back on Sunday evenings. Who else in the Club might be interested in weekend dashes north of the border, courtesy of the Caledonian Sleeper?

I’m heading up on the sleeper Thursday if anyone’s around the Ben this weekend?

Can’t make this weekend unfortunately. Interested to know what you guys do for last minute accomodation when conditions come in?

We’ve found it difficult to find and tend towards committing ahead to a long weekend. We had a bit of luck last year with 2 climbers club huts but had to move between Friday and Saturday and also relied on one of us being a CC member, and there were only 2 of us travelling.

A good question. There’s sometimes room in Glen Nevis Hostel. Failing that I have my tent with me.

In addition to the NLMC, I’m also a member of the CC and the FRCC. I tend to stay in their huts. The FRCC have huts in Aviemore and Kinlochleven. The CC have a hut in Roy Bridge.

I’m allowed three guests per visit. It’s fairly easy to book - and cancel - at the last minute.

Enjoy your weekend climbing on the Ben, Scott!

Is any one up for the coming weekends. I’m even thinking that a trip to Wales might make sense. More ski mountaineering than climbing though due to ankle injuries, but could likely second stuff.

Hi Mike, Olly and I just got back from a long weekend winter trip to Fort William and were talking about 17th to 19th up in Wales for some more winter stuff if conditions are good.

But we weren’t sure about etiquette and hut space, given the working meet is that weekend…I suppose it’s not that often winter conditions are “in” at the same time the working meet happens?!

We were prepared to stay elsewhere, if necessary, in order to get a big day on Saturday. Open to ideas.

I’m happy to lead grade III 4, would like to lead a IV 4 if possible. Hoping to pick up Wales winter guidebooks from a friend next week. Depending on route lengths and style, I wouldn’t mind climbing as a 3.

Two things: 1. Winter will be gone, 2. Etiquette is you can’t use the hut on a working weekend.

Winter occasionally lingers in Wales but it’s rare. In 1996 I did Western
Gully on Black Ladders on April 2. It was thin and mixed but just doable in winter conditions. I don’t think this winter will be the same.

Richard is Right. I think Welsh winter is this weekend only. There may be more snow than Scotland (!!) but it’s forecast to melt on Monday. TBH not sure what will be in Scotland after that.

Using the hut on a working weekend is easy. Just come and re-roof the Barn and finish on the Saturday morning. Nobody will complain. :smiley: