Hot rock sport climbing

El Chorro is good. And the bunkhouse at the Olive Branch is good too. You can camp and still use the facilities etc. It’s worth hiring a car so you can get to the crags quickly and easily. Car hire in Spain is pretty cheap especially if you arrange separate excess insurance so you don’t have to pay the extortionate rates the car hire company charge. Personally I preferred Mallorca for the scenery and variety. All of Mallorca, El Chorro and the Costa Blanca are doable as inexpensive four day weekends.

So much choice! Sounds like Mallorca is a good bet :grin: Although I don’t think it will be warm enough for swimming. Looks like accommodation is not that cheap? There are a few refugi on the island nor far from the climbing areas but they’re around €15 per bunkbed. Otherwise villas are too expensive unless there are 6 of us. Maybe camping?

The good thing about the island is that everywhere is within an hour or so to drive so you can stay anywhere. We found a very cheap self catering apartment in c’an Pastilla practically within walking distance from the airport. The only problem was that parking at the weekend was a nightmare and we had to park in a street half a mile away. It was ok Sunday to Thursday.

I’ve been to el chorro and chuillia for 4 day trips - v doable. Both have v cheap nice friendly refugios …
Is long weekend the preferred option? El chorro also has lower grade multi pitch, as well as hard stuff. Mallorca must have cheap places to stay -@sadierenwick? I thought access was a problem though?

I would love to go for a week. Flights are cheap tues to tues. airbnb looks cheap for 4. Only 150ish for week. Don’t mind camping, though not without facilities :wink: Will post a flight suggestion. Climbing by the beach…man it can’t be beat!

Yes at least a week or more! Mallorca has some great DWS I’d like to try but it’s only an option in summer/autumn when the water is warmer… I love swimming but maybe not in the 14º sea!
El Chorro is tempting because, if I wanted to come a couple of days earlier/stay longer than a week, it looks like it would be easier to find a refugio and people to climb with than in Mallorca. It would also be nice to have an option of cycling and walking to the crags, since my Russian driving licence is frowned upon in Europe :unamused:

@Tutu if you want to walk to El Chorro crags you probably need a winter trip - assuming at least that you stay in the “usual” spots in/around El Chorro village there’s not much shady within walking distance and you’ll probably want some shade by April. Frontales and all that lot will catch the sun for a lot of the day.

There’s definitely shady stuff around - Desplomilandia, Archidona if the grades work, the Vilanova del Rosario crags, etc, but I don’t know what the accommodation and social hub is like for those.

Did you consider The Canary Islands? There’s climbing on Tenerife (went climbing there many years ago for some winter sun and bolts) and Gran Canaria. Have fun!

@ajmorris228 congratulations on mini martin morris. @tutu There would be people driving up to desplo from the olive branch - when i went i was climbing with the staff, and someone usually has a car … Plus if you make beds you can stay for free :wink: or pay a fiver a night for camping which is what i did … They provide a tent. Similar deal at chulilla refuge - was amazingly easy to find partners there (but no free labour option!)

What date you thinking @bullopolis?

Hi all. So thinking 4th till 11th April cos flights are cheaper. Although wouldn’t be against Monday. In terms of destination kind of flexible although very tempted by Mallorca and climbing by the beach. Main thing is I need some sun on my bod! :sunglasses::wink:

My only concern with Mallorca is the accommodation, seems like there aren’t many cheap options apart from this refugio, especially if not many of us are going. Couldn’t find any available airbnb places… Maybe because it’s an island, it looks generally more expensive than mainland Spain.
I think I’d like to go for a couple of weeks, I just need a place where I can climb and work remotely at the same time in a warm climate :smirk: That said, Mallorca might still be a great option, I looked up cycle hire and a nice road/mountain bike is not too expensive, especially for a week or two.

1 Like

Who is potentially interested so far? I think I’m going to apply for the bmc international meet in cornwall as a host, and want to keep at least 1 week holiday for a Morocco or similar trip (@Tutu? :slight_smile: ) and/or possibly dolomites? hence being noncommittal as i don’t want to run out of holiday. Cheap always good as i like to do many trips :wink:
Liz

I am absolutely interested! Would like to go somewhere warm in April and also October (@dizz_lizzie – Morocco or similar would be great! open to suggestions re trad destinations :grin:)
P. S. In August, I’m also planning to visit my family in the Russian Ural mountains – there is climbing (which I have never explored) on solid granite, although it’s a bit underdeveloped so not really world-class :unamused: Could be a potential adventure for the thrill-seekers!

Russian ural mountains sounds pretty cool @Tutu ! Are you on FB? Or send me an email - I have no money this year but super keen on climbing! Be good to get a bit of local climbing in too - as in UK :slight_smile:

Hey @dizz_lizzie, I think I found you on fb… with the spring coming soon, I’d love to get outside more often, either trad or sport. I’m so out of practice! I’ll soon have about every other w/end free so should be able to squeeze some climbing in! Let me know if you’re heading on a trip from March onwards and wouldn’t mind me tagging along :grin:

@bullopolis So what shall we do about Easter trip? I’m still keen! We could meet at the Castle on Monday to discuss?

1 Like

Sounds good. Let’s meet Monday! :blush:

Calling Hot Rock sport climbers. I hope you folks on this thread are going to the Charity Film Night this evening at the Waterpoet! Especially you @bullopolis. Can you do a 2 mins chat about the New Members meet like last year pls.

Link to the original thread here:-

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Of course mate. Only thing is I can’t do the 1st for the meet. Propose 25th ish. I can just mention its in April. Soz missed the comm meeting. Thought it was at the palm. See you later.M

@tutu every weekend is a climbing trip :wink: just depends where!! :slight_smile:

@khalidqasrawi hope it is a good evening!