2024 Pembroke Meet 24-26th August

I’ve heard many club members mention Pembroke as their favourite meet in the NLMC calendar, and with good reason! The limestone sea cliffs are spectacular. A couple of nice shots from last year, courtesy of @bullopolis:

Meet type: Seacliffs/ Trad

When: 24-26th August (Monday is a bank holiday!)

Previously we stayed near Bosherston, as there is cheap and cheerful campsite near a pub and close to the range east crags. Propose this again unless there is strong interest in being closer to the northern crags/St David’s this time

Experience level: Range of grades available

Skills needed: Lead belaying and abseiling (with prusik) and ideally awareness of how to ascend a rope (if needed). Usually abseil approaches and some tidal.

Equipment required: Basic climbing and abseiling kit (helmet, harness, belay device, rock shoes, personal anchor and prusik loops (x2) and ideally some additional personal kit (slings, carabiners). Abseil ropes always good!

Signup: NLMC Pembroke Meet 24-26th August 2024 - Google Sheets

Logistics:

Accommodation: Previously we have stayed at the cheap and cheerful Bosherton Campsite - 6pppn & no booking required. Recommend heading there again unless an alternative is put forward.

Transport: As usual please look at the sign-up sheet and arrange transportation usually via sending a DM to your preferred driver. Please update spreadsheet once you’ve agreed a lift.

Important info:

• Sea cliffs can be more serious in nature than other climbing venues so please make sure you are comfortable with the skills needed, if unsure please speak to one the committee members and we’d be happy to discuss.
  • Climbing partners are self-organised between members, this is often arranged informally in advance/on the drive down/ at the campsite over breakfast. Happy to answer any concerns/questions
  • Reminder that those joining the meets typically need to be members of the club. If you’d like to come along to try out a meet before joining, please get in touch with a member of the committee so that we can arrange to meet you and check your belaying (typically at the Castle in London).
  • A reminder, as for all meets, please make sure you are aware and comfortable with the BMC statement of participation, found on the bottom of our meets page. Signing up to meets confirms acceptance of this: Meets - North London Mountaineering Club
1 Like

No edit permissions

So close yet so far… Should be editable now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, keen to join the meet, and it’s been a while! Just to say I am driving from Bristol so happy to pick people up from Bristol Parkway or centre if the lift situation doesn’t work out easily from London (and you don’t mind the cost of rail travel these days!).

I’m keen on coming. I’m traveling atm so can’t edit the doc until I’m back Monday. Is there a final date for confirming numbers? Also might be there anyways that weekend so no pressure. Planning to drive.

Hi Dan! Nice to meet you. I’m considering taking the train back from Bristol and would love to take you up on your offer. Just to confirm, are you leaving on the Sunday or staying the Monday as well? I can join you if you head back on the Sunday.

Hi – just signed up for the club and eager to join this meet. I have most of the makings of a rack (plenty of nuts/slings/draws and 5 cams) and rope with some but not loads of trad experience in the UK and US. Hoping to potentially catch a ride with someone this weekend. Is there a Whatsapp community for this meet?

hi Tony,

Do you still have a place in the car? I DM you

Hi Dan,

I DM you about the place in the car.

Do we have a WA group for the trip?

Hi Chris, yep Friday to Sunday. Bristol Parkway is the closest station to me, so should be direct from London Paddington. DM me your phone number and we can arrange pick up. I am flexible with times and theres a spare bed if trains Monday morning are better.

Hi
there is freed up spot in Duc’s car now if anyone is still looking for a lift.

Dan hi, can you share your number. I want to write to you about a return trip. I messaged my number in DM. Thank you

Hey there! I’m keen to join this meet. I have my own personal climbing gear, but don’t have a rack of my own so would love to second (or third) with anyone, if there’s space! Let me know if that works, and I’ll be happy to drive from Leyton on Fri/ Sat!

Hey! Add yourself to the spread sheet up top using the google link. Can organize cars/lifts there. Also do join the Whatsapp group for the trip.

thanks Tony! I’ve added my info but still haven’t got access to the WhatsApp unfortunately.