2023 Cornwall Solstice Meet - 24/25 June

Let’s celebrate mid-summer in NLMC tradition: the solstice meet in beautiful Cornwall. A weekend full of sea, sand, horizons, granite, climbs and good times. Details below :slightly_smiling_face:

Meet type: Sea cliff/ Trad

When: 25th/26th June 2023, people may likely head up Friday eve and return Sat, but people are welcome to extend their stay

Skills & Experience level: Med - Lead belaying and abseiling with prussik (and recommend brushing up awareness of how to ascend a rope!)

Equipment required: Basic climbing and abseiling kit (helmet, harness, belay device, rock shoes, personal anchor and prussik loops (x2) and ideally some additional personal kit (slings, carabiners).

Signup: NLMC 2023 Cornwall Solstice Meet - Signup - Google Sheets

Logistics:

Accommodation: I have made a booking at Treverven Campsite, it is £8pppn. No deposit was required, so please just bring funds and pay on arrival. I will have to confirm final numbers closer to the time. Google Maps

Solstice BBQ: I’m excited for my first NLMC experience of the Solstice Saturday night beach BBQ on (what I hear is the extremely magical) Porthcurno beach. BBQ food logistics will be arranged nearer the time. I will arrange transportation of the club BBQ (@PaulSagar need to get that off you?).

Unfortunately, the beach is no longer walking distance from the campsite, but I understand it wasn’t too problematic to identify a few designated drivers?

Transport: As usual please look at the sign-up sheet and arrange transportation, best is to direct message those with cars to reserve your spot and update the spreadsheet accordingly

AOB -

• Sea cliffs can be more serious in nature than other climbing venues so please make sure you are comfortable with the skills needed, if unsure please speak to one the committee members and we’d be happy to discuss

• Climbing partners are self-organised between members, this is often arranged informally in advance/on the drive down/ at the campsite over breakfast. Happy to answer any concerns/questions

• Reminder that those joining the meets will ideally be a member, this is not mandatory, but you will as a minimum need to have joined us at the wall to say hi and for a belay check

• A reminder, as for all meets, please make sure you are aware and comfortable with the BMC statement of participation, found on the bottom of our meets page. Signing up to meets confirms acceptance of this: Meets - North London Mountaineering Club

Can’t make this year as building a barn, but if anyone is passing by Gloucestershire there’s a sack of my charcoal to pick up for the bbq

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02BjmE91USXuxQtPVbhvMeSQjrjbAetZy23oASMeUjFeQK1H2FEx81QZmRb3wmf7Tvl&id=100057127553174

2 Likes

So awesome! I have a bit busy schedule recently, but I hope I will make it :).
I would like to add a day or two to it, so it’s not just about driving.

Tide times for the days we’re in Cornwall. Not the most convenient for tidal venues, but luckily there are miles of non-tidal options.

Note these times are for Sennen and predictions will vary +/- up and down the coast.

Sennen High Water Low Water
Morning Afternoon Morning Afternoon
Date Time Height (m) Time Height (m) Time Height (m) Time Height (m)
22.06 07:57 6.1 20:12 6.2 02:00 1.6 14:10 1.7
23.06 08:34 5.9 20:51 6.1 02:38 1.8 14:46 1.9
24.06 09:15 5.7 21.33 5.9 03:18 2 15:28 2.1
25.06 10:00 5.5 22:20 5.7 04:01 2.2 16:15 2.3
26.06 10:54 5.4 23:16 5.6 04:53 2.3 17:12 2.5

Hi,

I am new in London and haven’t travelled with you yet. Could I attend this journey if I meet experience, belay skills and equipment?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Polina, yes you would be welcome to join the trip! We would need to meet you down the wall and do a belay check, and in regards to experience - given it is sea cliffs - the main one is that you are confident with abseiling (with prusik backup etc.)

Are you able to make it to the Castle Climbing Centre this coming Monday? There is usually someone who will be able to check belaying and advise of experience/skills. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

Hi, Yes, I could be on Monday. Will DM you. Thanks!

Hi all! I’ve committed to booking my days off work now. I’ll be travelling down Thursday afternoon - from 1pm and returning Monday afternoon. If anyone facies a lift (one way or both) drop me a text or call and we can arrange. I’m in Haddenham (Bucks) which is 35 mins out of Marylebone, but can pick up on route elsewhere.

It’ll be good to know if anyone else is heading down early as to meet up and make some plans.

Cheers!

Three of us will be down there from around 20-27 June. If anyone needs a partner let us know.

Tilly, FYI, I’ve emailed the campsite asking for an extension.

Rich

Nice one Chiz!

I have signed up, not sure I can get the car but if anyone can depart Thursday evening / Friday and has space I’d be up for that.

Max

Hi All, I notice from the spready that some of you still need a lift. If you can get yourselves out to either Tring, Wendover or Haddenham stations, I’ve got 3 spaces in my car and would love to share the journey. Boot is quite spacious and I can also lend a spare 2 person tent if it makes packing/travel easier.

I’m taking Monday off work to ensure we get a full day climbing on Sunday and perhaps a half day non-tidal on Monday.

I can leave mine from 1:30pm on Friday, so 1:30 - 2pm at either of the stations could work. I can leave later but as it’s 6 hours down with a stop it would be good to get there for 8-9pm to set up in twilight.

That said, I don’t mind pitching tents in the dark if the campsite allows late arrival (@Tilly_F - any thoughts on that?)

Feel free to call or drop me a message on WhatsApp 07860 553 984, or PM me directly on here.

Cheers!

Thanks to everyone who has offered to drive! :heart_eyes::pray:. Is anyone heading back Sunday and still have room to spare?

I can drive Thursday evening or early Friday, leaving from Greenwich if anyone can climb Friday en-route? Coming back Sunday. That would be my preference, I can’t take Monday off.

Hi @Adam_Craig, This will work perfectly for me, it’s easier for me to get to Tring than to travel within London to meet other drivers, also keen to leave the London car spaces to less flexible members.

As I’m taking Friday and Monday off work, I’m flexible with travel time and return date. Are you happy for me to join you in your car? (Thanks :slight_smile:)

Mohamed E
079 0089 4228

It’s my pleasure Max, but someone has to pick it up :wink: Not sure if Khalid is going, or any of the Cheltenham lot that can swing by the woods to collect

I’m afraid I’m not going @chizharward . I do remember for the last time you supplied, it was excellent charcoal - very generous - thank you.

Hi all

Just updated the campsite with numbers, despite some initial confusion about previous booking, I think we are all ok. We were advised to camp in the top field, which is apparently first left when you come through the gates. Should be ok here for late arrivals, there is currently one other person in that field - so try and set up camp away from them as to not disturb.

@Rich @Karl - Are you arriving today? If you are able to locate where exactly the group will be and share a pin that would be great so we all end up somewhere in the same space (you may need to explain to the campsite owner)

Have created a group whatsapp group chat for easier coordination on the weekend. Join here: WhatsApp Group Invite

Reminder for everyone to organise lifts and update the spreadsheet when they’ve confirmed, currently difficult to say whether we have a shortage. Looks like there may be more lifts needed on a friday eve than drivers…

1 Like

All good!

So, I’m definately driving, 2 spaces left if anyone else still looking.

Currently aiming for early afternoon departure from Bucks around 2pm as Moe has all of Friday off and I’ve got the afternoon off.

1 Like

Hi All,
the weather looks amazing.
Is anyone staying Monday, too?
I cannot go on Thursday or Friday midday.
I can take the Monday off and it would make it somewhat justifiable to spend over 12h in a car.
Please, let me know, so I can update the list or take myself off.
Sorry, for this last moment mess.
Greg.

Hey ya! I’d love to join you!
I’ll be leaving Friday and returning Sunday, due to working in Hatfield, I can arrange pick up at Iver station (Elizabeth line) around 4.30.
also could arrange to pick up heavy stuff on Thursday night if needed
Roman