Is it in yet? Scotland (February) 2022

@George_T just dialling in training options with @Miguel. Looking at doing 2-3 days over the first weekend (eg 12th-14th) then joining you folks!

@GarethA @Ross_Lanham thanks for the instructor suggestions. I’ve reached out to all three of them tonight.

I sent an email to a lot of instructors on Find an Instructor last week, and the vast majority are fully booked.
However Jim Evans & Kevin Hall are available. Has anyone heard of either of them?

I’ve put myself in the spreadsheet as a TBC just while I get the training nailed down…

1 Like

Ta for those that have filled out, as you’re finding with instructors we’re going lastminute.com here so would like to get accommodation booked asap!

@Kiwidave I’m not intending to get accommodation for the Sunday night, I suspect most will want to leave for work on Monday.

@George_T sorry I’m very late to the party, it too late for another novice to sign up? Will it mess up your accommodation? Especially if I’m only looking at the first weekend plus a day or two?

I have a winter skills day course booked next weekend in the Lakes but will definitely need more training.

@AsherC and @Miguel if there is room for me on the trip can you accommodate a third with the guide or is it 2:1?

Absolutely no worries if I’ve left it all too late.
Thanks!

@George_T ,
That was my expectation, but thought I’d ask since it was in the sheet
Unfortunately, it has turned into a cannot now make it, sorry.
I’ll keep an eye on things in case the situation changes
Thanks
Dave

@George_T we’re all set! We’ve arranged training for Sat 12th - Mon 14th, so we’ll be travelling up on Friday. Is there an option for us to stay at the accommodation on the Friday night? (eg is it like a hostel, or is it a private block booking?)
Alternatively we can crash in my van, but it might be a squeeze if there’s three of us…

@Tilly_F was great to meet you on Monday!
I’ve spoken with our guide and they’re happy to work with three :slight_smile:
It would be great to double check our goals are broadly aligned, so if you can DM me your number maybe we can have a quick chat tomorrow?

I haven’t booked anything yet, will give people until Saturday morning then book for whatever we’ve got!

Great news re guide, I wasn’t planning on getting the Friday but I won’t rule it out as an option when I’m looking and will let you know.

I’ll make a group chat saturday

@Kiwidave sorry to hear it but ta for letting me know!

Whereabouts are you planning on going? I might possibly be in the area around that time and would be up for a climb or two!

We’re heading to the cairngorm, it’s an are I know we’ll and there’s a few more accommodation options than elsewhere

Have spoken with @AsherC and made plans to join in with the guide! Plan is to come up Fri to Tues/Weds, with 2/3 days of guiding, hope that’s not too disruptive. Will fill out the spreadsheet!

@George_T not having been up to the Cairngorms before, what’s the deal with travel/transport up there? I was looking at trains but do we need a car for getting around and up to the mountains?

Thanks!

Hi George,

Newbie to the NLMC here (first post and yet to be signed-off), but this kind of thing is exactly why I’m wanting to sign up.

Coincidentally I’ll be up in Scotland this very same week (16th-20th) heading to wherever the conditions are in with a mate from another club. Be good to say hello and have a cup of tea with you and the NLMC folk if the chances permit.

I’ll hopefully make the Castle one Monday soon.

Olly

1 Like

@Ladislav @AsherC @Tilly_F @Mattia @Miguel - thanks for filling in the spreadsheet. Accommodation booked and conveniently close! Please could you drop me your numbers and I’ll setup a WA group to discuss details.

@Tilly_F for 6 of us we’d definitely need want two cars amongst the group on a daily basis. But there is a train and coach station in aviemore that you’ll be able to use for travel to/from the trip and we can easily sort pickups.

If anyone has a new lamb or first born child they’re not overly fond of its time to start praying for conditions, sacrifices may help.

1 Like

@Olly Good to hear from you, I’m hoping to make the castle this Monday so will hopefully chat to you then. You’d be absolutely welcome to swing by and say hi, no doubt we’ll cross paths in the Ptarmigan at some point!

Sounds like the current trip won’t fit with me. I think I will drive North on 21st - stay in Glasgow then and aim to find somewhere to stay up north later in the week.

@PaulSagar @AshleyKC interested? I could take gear north with me in my car and pick people up from somewhere in Scotland if they flew or took trains in. Ideally I would like to climb further North, Torridon, towards Ullapool or similar, however that would depend on conditions so maybe book somewhere that can be cancelled at the last moment if we have to move back to Ben Nevis??

Anyone interested?

Ok so apparently I’m supposed to be on strike the week this trip is happening…maybe I could be on strike in Scotland…

That’s what I would call Lucky Strike.

2 Likes

Hi. Sorry to be late to the party.
If love to join you all. Going to do Thursday- Sunday. Super excited!

1 Like