Chamonix Alpine Trip 2020: 11-19 July

If you are under 30 and want to do Alpinism, you can go for the JCMT Alpine course. https://www.jcmt.org.uk/courses/

I did this a couple of years ago and it was well worth it. You have to apply and state why you want to be on it. I pretty much said “I’m going to the alps with NLMC regardless” and that did it for me!

1 Like

I’m gonna put a soft vote for Chamonix. I’ll probably be doing my normal summer in van thing anyway.

1 Like

Echoing @Tom_Blake, the JCMT course is a brilliant intro to summer alpinism. I’d be more keen for big alpine stuff than valley cragging but would go wherever!

I’m definitely keeping an eye out for the JCT courses, forgot to register for the ones in Scotland this year :frowning:

Dates sound good, probably more up for Ailefroide given experience level/price…

What I’m hearing so far:

More experienced people/those with $$$$$ have a preference for Chamonix

Less experienced people/those with less $$$$$ have a preference for Ailefroide

Matt and myself mildly lean to Ailefroide, to be inclusive and because we like it there.

However, here’s a thought: going all the way to the Alps, it makes sense to do a big trip. We could thus do an official NLMC meet in the Écrins, and then a more informal extension meet for those who want further alpine objectives, relocating to Chamonix the week after.

This would allow at least myself to have both cake and eat it, so I like the sound of it. Thoughts?

1 Like

I think Chamonix is worth a go. As others have pointed out we have been to the Ecrins as a club a number of times recently and it would be nice to mix things up - people who have been in the club for some time may find it a bit dull.

As others have also pointed out, there is something to go at for ppl of all abilities in Chamonix (including non friction slabs - also isn’t Ailefroide all slabs?).

I would also say that the purpose of this meet is primarily as an alpine meet, and Chamonix is a better destination for that kind of thing undoubtedly. The lifts (while they cost money) are an excellent way to get a taste for this kind of thing (you can also minimise the cost by walking up to some venues (Albert premier hut e.g.) or just taking the lift a couple of times and staying up in a hut for a couple of days). My personal view is that if you’re going to Europe in the summer go for the big stuff - we have many other meets for cragging!

Could do it as two weeks but that will probably end up with different people coming on the different dates and less of a crowd for each week, so wouldn’t be my preference.

Walk up and sleep out rough!

Suffering costs nothing :smiley:

2 Likes

mmmmm cake

also…

Have you been to/had your posterior handed to you on a silver platter by the best sport crag in the world? It’s not far from the Ecrins…

The courses run out of Cham, so you might find that it’s more convenient for you anyway

1 Like

@guyarnold from now on only the views of people WHO ARE ACTUALLY COMING ON THE MEET NOT GALLIVANTING AROUND CANADA will be taken into consideration.

1 Like

Also I have this unshakeable feeling that using lifts is cheating. If you’re not walking up at least 3 hours to a hut the day before then it’s not a proper summit achievement.

You can walk up the hills in Chamonix if you like.

I am the meet sec and if you disrespect me I will put the Alpine meet in Belgium.

4 Likes

I think everyone should experience the joy of climbing on the “easier” routes at Freyer, which make glass look like a high friction material. @PaulSagar particularly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can walk up them but then you’ll be surrounded by people who didn’t. Rubbish

Gallivanting around Canada sounds fun. Give up on the Cham vs Ailefroide debate and move the meet to the Rockies? :canada:

3 Likes

This is not helpful JESSICA

Bugaboos meet? That’s where we’ll be. Lots to go at at all grades. It would be awesome…

4 Likes

Quite hard to get the Kangoo across the Atlantic unfortunately

I’m in for that. Good work Jess.

1 Like

I’m certainly up for the Rockies. It looks ace.

We’d need some way of collectively reducing the collective club carbon cost. I say we charter a yacht to get us some of the way. Alternatively, how about we spend the April easter meet planting trees around the barn?

3 Likes