Alps (July) 2022: Ailefroide

Try the south face of the Barre
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/barre_des_ecrins-15442/pilier_sud_barre_des_ecrins-95159

Good morning everyone,

Me and my friend would also love to join this trip. But have to say we are beginners, and since Covid I have not been practicing much. Never been in a climbing trip before. But even if we just stay in the land and watch you, it will still be an adventure for us.
Can we join too and is that going to be beginners friendly?

Thanks
Hasret

Hi all. Love to come. Not avail until July 23, however. Will keep an eye on the chart, and see what dates are settled on.

Yes, Ailefroid is very beginner friendly. It’s everyone friendly!

1 Like

Hi Hasret

You’re more than welcome to come along, though for insurance purposes you’ll need to be a paid up member of the club if you intend to climb with us as a club. Hopefully we will have got plenty of meets going before the summer though so you will have had a chance to meet people and get some practice in before July.

On which note, @George_T fancy putting together a meet calendar?

BMC third party insurance only covers Uk trips with the club and you must be a uk resident. You need separate insurance for abroad. BMC do a brilliant rock policy but check the height of mountains you need for mountain cover.

3 Likes

Definitely worth getting medical insurance and having a look at this link in case anything has changed due to Brexit etc.

Not just the medical costs - it’s the rescue costs to consider as well.
The BMC website makes choosing the right policy straightforward.

Matt

| Mark_W NLMC Committee Member
8 January |

• | - |

Definitely worth getting medical insurance and having a look at this link in case anything has changed due to Brexit etc.

GOV.UK

Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU

How to get state healthcare when you’re on holiday or travelling to a country in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

1 Like

A good option is to join the Austrian Alpine Club (UK Branch) for some not-very-much amount (used to be £60 a year). They will pay any evac and rescue costs, and are famous for actually doing so (unlike more regular insurers).

You also get discount on the cost of staying in an alpine hut if you’re an AAC member. We didn’t renew ours last two years because of the obvious, but will be doing so again for 2022.

We also can’t do weekend of the 9th as we’re getting married! Original dates would be better :slight_smile:

6 Likes

HELLO!

Yes this all sounds fabulous. Nothing planned in July, happy to go with the group consensus on dates. When we know dates I’ll see about booking an intro mountaineering course. If anyone else is interested let me know - maybe a group booking?

3 Likes

sounds awesome!!

1 Like

I would be keen for this! Currently have no plans in July, so whenever works for most people.

2 Likes

I’m keen for this!!

1 Like

+100 super idea etc. Such a beautiful place.

Hello all, Happy New Year

Hmm, alpine trip. Count me in

1 Like

Would love to put my hand up for this!
Currently need to earn my stripes and become a paid up member, so will put some time in at the Castle/ Mile End and hopefully join for a UK trip or two, and all things being well would love to be there!

@LIon I’d be very keen to join for a mountaineering course. Aiming to do a winter course in the coming months, but would be good to do a general one too.

2 Likes

I’d love to if I can get some time off and remember how to climb :wink:

1 Like

Ailefroide is great! I avoid that place from Bastille day onwards as the 14th July is a day off and usually the start of people’s holidays in France.

For alpine stuff, earlier is better. I am likely to be in Les Ecrins area from mid June onwards in the weekends at least. If anyone is keen to head there early, let me know!

1 Like

As I’m mildly paranoid about the campsite getting booked out (apparently it was blocked out last summer!) I’m keen to get a rough sense of numbers sooner rather than later so I can book out a corner for the club.

So if you think you’re likely to come, please sign up here. It’s fine if you pull out later, I just want to get a rough idea of how many people we need space for